Re: WebAim Screen Reader User Survey #7: Getting The Word Out About NVDA

erik burggraaf <erik@...>

Hi Randy,

On October 3, 2017 11:54:34 PM "Randy Barnett" <randy@...> wrote:

Jaws has gone down in price over the years.

I'll give you this.  Looking at the freedom scientific website, I can see that the home edition stands at $900, and the professional stands at $1100.  These prices are about 2 or 3 hundred dollars cheeper than when I last had ocasion to keep track some four years ago.  I guess that's about a 20% nock off.  If it doesn't seem like much, that's because 9 c's is far out of reach of the home user.  IE, government is still the primary target market for this product and I believe all my former arguments to retain validity.
FS has been fairly competative on hardware pricing I will give them that.  I don't like most of their hardware, but I know many people who do and the price points make it attractive to both those who use it and those who pay.  Of course, people who use fs hardware naturally tend to gravitate to fs software and vice versa.  This is certainly not always the case, but I see it often.

Even more if you figure in
inflation. It has not gone up at all. Nor is it likely too.

No, I don't buy the inflation bit either, not considering the take home of the top brass at VFO.  The pricing includes all overhead including reasonable inflation, so no.  Plus, we're still debunking the research and development argument.  Each release of jaws does not require the scratch construction of a new speech synthesizer, video display chain driver, and accessibility api among other core functions.  Programmers are talented people who diserve to be paid accordingly, but the scale of the research required to maintain jaws now is nowhere near on the scale it would have been in the late 90's when there were no such things as accessibility standards.

Also, Gene touched on it and others may have too.  They're not just selling jaws.  They're selling training at a premium.  I've seen quotes for scripting ranging from $150 per work hour, to $150 per code line.  I'm working on a human rights employment case right now and just to get an audit of what needs to be fixed in this one company from an accessibility consultant is going to cost $15000.  Just to find out what's wrong.  Now, VFO owns one of the supposed leading consulting firms in this area, which means they can test with only jaws, and tout scripting at a premium.  Also, you notice, they don't tell you how much it costs for remote access anymore?  The ominous, "call for pricing".  Let's not waste any clean-x on VFO's proffit margin shall we.

I am not a

big fan of VFO and criticize it often but they are like any other
specialized software. Have you ever price CAD, Audio design, CNC
mapping  and other similar software? they far exceed the cost of Jaws.

Nop, Gene tried this one too, and I didn't have the time to address it but lets just say... No.  If I buy jaws,  it's money spent playing catch up.  There is no doubt the benefits of hiring blind employees.  It's the law, and I need to comply.  There are lots of perripheral benefits, but no direct cost recovery.  I mearly pay to supplement what I already have.  IE, I have a great employee and an inaccessible workplace and jaws glues the two together.  But I might be able to find another great employee who doesn't need jaws, and unless I'm planning to start a sideline in some area of accessibility work, I'm not seeing  a direct return on my jaws or ansilary services like scripting.

The argument holds less water in the case of retirees who go blind later in life or other home based use cases.  How many regular people have autocad in their house in case they want to doodle?

If I'm an engineer, I buy autocad.  It is crutial to my job.  It accellerates my workflow and directly earnes me money.  If I had a professional recording studio, I'd pay top dollar for protools.  Thousands or 10's of thousands of dollars for a licence is nothing, because knowledge and use of these tools generates direct return on investment in the millians or greater.  Jaws does not offer anything close to that, so there's no comparison to be made at all.

Do I want cheaper Jaws? Of course who wants to pay more for anything!
Dont forget Jaws was providing access long before anyone else and it was
very good access at that. It has taken over 20years for someone to
provide a no cost alternative for the PC.

--
Sincereley: Randy Barnett
Owner of Soundtique.