Re: Braille, how many use it?

To be honest though if there was a disaster braille would be the last thing I took with me, braille in its raw analog format takes a lot of room

On 5/10/2017 10:36 a.m., Adriani Botez wrote:
Dear Gene,

in this case I think we should not really give all our thoughts on comparing it to technology. If there it’s a cathastrofy I would try to take with me what I can. But I feel somehow better or at least I have the impression to have the certainty that I am not very dependent on just technology. I mean I would also wish that schools and other education institution teach children not just braille but also the regular letters (for example by magnetic surfaces). At least blind people should have the ability to write and express their ghoughts independently. And additionally, the ability to write and read by yourself increases your imagination power and it structures the art of thinking. It is also very important for concentration skills. Well, technology can also be used to improve and maintain concentration skills and so on, but why not being flexible and having the feeling of independence?

Von: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] Im Auftrag von Gene
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 4. Oktober 2017 22:47
An: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Betreff: Re: [nvda] Braille, how many use it?

These sorts of arguments are thinly veiled antitechnology arguments. Its like arguing that you should know how to play the piano so that, in case a disaster occurs and you have no power, you can still play music.

As technology advances and changes what people can do, old practices, for better or worse, dye out or are largely no longer done.

Consider a wide variety of disasters. In many sorts of disasters, you won't have Braille material or access to it.

In terrible hurricanes, Braille material would have been ruined and/or swept away. In less severe hurricanes, if you didn't have to evacuate, you might still have access to it.

In bad earthquakes, it would be buried and full of debris. In the case of a tornado, maybe it would still be available, mayb e not. How about a natural gas explosion? It depends on where the explosion was and what was damaged. There are certain natural disasters that would leave Braille material unscathed. But learning to read Braille and practicing enough to be truly fluent to prepare for a possible natural disaster is a really poor use of time. It may be a benefit, in certain disasters, but it isn't a rational reason to learn Braille. It's like keeping a horse in your yard in case you can't get gas after a natural disaster or, as I discussed earlier, learning to play piano.

and in the case of an evacuation, what are you going to take, a device such as a digital recorder or a digital Bible or thirty or more Braille volumes?