Re: Slightly OT: Is there a way to tell if a Windows update is a major upgrade?

Well firstly you need to buy a windows pro licence if you only have home.

Then you can go to advanced update settings and set various options.

standard updates can be disabled for a month, and feature updates can be disabled for a year.

You can also turn off all updates for a month remembering that to do that again you will need to install updates or the latest update to get things working so for us pro users there are a lot of options.

On 5/10/2017 1:11 p.m., John Isige wrote:
So to answer the responses so far:

1. You have to license after every major update because Eloquence uses one of those licenses that's based on stuff about your computer, don't ask me what because I don't know. So a major OS upgrade, even within versions, can change things enough that if you just upgrade with your current license, that license will no longer work when the upgrade is done. Beyond that, you'll have to email Code Factory.

2. OK, two major upgrades a year, cool. That's sort of helpful, but it's missing the point a bit, I think. I know, for example, that there's a big creator's update coming out some time this month. What I don't know is when I'll get it, not only because I don't know when it's coming out, but also because of course you don't get updates as soon as they come out.

So suppose I get an update next week. Is that a simple security update? Is that the big one I need to unlicense for? That's what I'm trying to figure out a way to learn. I actually don't worry about the licensing for most of them because I know they're not major updates, but like I said, I got nailed by it in the past. So now I'm trying to figure out a way to find out when I'm looking at a major update, so it doesn't update automatically on me and make me lose another license.

.