From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, October 4, 2017 4:47 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Braille, how many use it?

These sorts of arguments are thinly veiled antitechnology arguments.  Its like arguing that you should know how to play the piano so that, in case a disaster occurs and you have no power, you can still play music.

As technology advances and changes what people can do, old practices, for better or worse, dye out or are largely no longer done.

Consider a wide variety of disasters.  In many sorts of disasters, you won't have Braille material or access to it.

In terrible hurricanes, Braille material would have been ruined and/or swept away.  In less severe hurricanes, if you didn't have to evacuate, you might still have access to it.

In bad earthquakes, it would be buried and full of debris.  In the case of a tornado, maybe it would still be available, mayb e not.  How about a natural gas explosion?  It depends on where the explosion was and what was damaged.  There are certain natural disasters that would leave Braille material unscathed.  But learning to read Braille and practicing enough to be truly fluent to prepare for a possible natural disaster is a really poor use of time.  It may be a benefit, in certain disasters, but it isn't a rational reason to learn Braille.  It's like keeping a horse in your yard in case you can't get gas after a natural disaster or, as I discussed earlier, learning to play piano.

and in the case of an evacuation, what are you going to take, a device such as a digital recorder or a digital Bible or thirty or more Braille volumes?

Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2017 3:33 PM

Whether technology goes down or not, Braille remains an essential skill to have for a blind person.  And if it goes down, I will still have my Bible to read.  Living in fear serves no one.  I lived in Alaska for 27 years and we learned not to depend entirely on technology by being prepared and using survival skills.

Blessings

Pascal