Re: something people should be aware of

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Well I suspect it went for last known good and hence it was before it got itself confused.
I've noticed similar issues on 7 with some so called safe software.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 9:05 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] something people should be aware of

Well going slightly off for a sec, earlier this week I did report the issue with narator and search boxes not speaking contents or up and down arrow presses.

I submitted feadback, I also tested turning off all the services and startup items and running in core mode I even turned the ms security startup program and it still did the same thing.

One thing I did solve was that disk cleaner then was able to appear and clean fully without stopping speech, and also was able to clear updates and such however obviously something happened because after a bit I thought I would just continue cleaning when I switched the system back to full mode.

I quit disk cleaner, set everything back and shut down except the system refused to shut down.

On restart it just sat there in a weird mode till I turned it off.

It then started normally enough though slow and after another cleaning run I noticed the items to clear updates etc just did not exist so who knows at any rate interesting, the system is now working and that issue will probably not effect me ever again unless I need to run another diagnostic run.

So my narator report is in the hub and I can confirm its just the start menu search box that does this the cortana one, the desktop and file and settings boxes are left alone.

Its not that big of a deal its just that start menu search is broken with narator, lets hope the fix goes in the next build.

Then again, the workstation is about 5 years old 4 of those years I have had 10 on but for a brief period it had 7, I guess I will eventually need to reformat which by rights should be easy to do since all data is on another drive so its not like I loose out in fact a couple days loading all those apps back, and bar the standard apps I load on, 7zip, ccleaner, cd burner xp and a few extras who knows.

On 11/10/2017 12:33 a.m., Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Hmm well i hope not as my Christmas is going to be very frustrating, planning to get a new laptop with 10 on it before that.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Shaun Everiss" <sm.everiss@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 10:13 AM

Well I do hope you can turn off all the stuff you don't want.

However ofcause if you could set phrases if you need to have it do things for spaciffic things well.

Sure it can suggest and advertise for you, however if you can't control it at all its basically useless.

And to be honest on a really serious note, with the death of ms music, if this gets any worse, I am seriously going to have to just not sign in with an ms account or maybe never use win10 and remain on 7 for ever or xp or something if it starts getting me angry or something really stupid.

Maybe I will have to download one of those dodgy spyware full antispyware software and turn a lot of stuff off breaking a whole lot of things.

The thing is we really need control, and I just don't see much of it.

There was a worrying article released on news that ms from consumer point of view seems to be servicing businesses instead of its standard user base anymore.

Unsure if its true but reguardless of this, there are so many settings, tips, suggestions, adds, and the like I have to turn off that its a real pain and takes more and more time during setup.

I bet you that when the big update comes out next week I will be sitting at the system, checking through settings and turning a lot of things off again.

On 10/10/2017 9:08 p.m., Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
I think the worrying part to this is that it means its reading your live chat from the keyboard and I can just imagine it adding a new message when you pause telling you when you mention blindd that a shop selling blinds is just down the road.. grin.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene New Zealand" <hurrikennyandopo@outlook.co.nz>
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 8:04 AM

Hi

It says it in the link that was given. It is going to be part of skype but looks more like the metro apps at present. We will find out shortly how much it gets used .

I will be looking forwards to playing with it not much different from using a voice assistant on your phone i guess.

Gene nz

On 10/10/2017 3:19 PM, zahra wrote:

hi.
i opened the link and only the informations were about cortana!
where can i read the informations about skype?

On 10/10/17, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@outlook.co.nz><mailto:hurrikennyandopo@outlook.co.nz> wrote:

Hi

does not worry me. At present it will be for apple devices and android
ones.it did not mention windows devices nor windows computers as of yet.

it does not say any thing about the desk top version of skype either.

Gene nz

On 10/10/2017 1:55 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Hi.

was reading skype blogs and found this.

https://blogs.skype.com/news/2017/10/09/introducing-cortana-skype-microsofts-intelligent-assistant-comes-chat-window/

I really hope that there will be a way to make this shove right off if one
wants to.

There is nothing worse than something bringing up suggestions and thinking
what to say, if I want this now then I can put several bits of spyware and
ransom ware on my system, and forget about skype.

While I see a benifit in this, I really hope we can envoke this at will, if
not then maybe I will have to use windows xp for skype instead <sigh>

--
[Image NVDA certified expert]
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material
at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New
Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA
screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or
location) is near to you please visit
http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa
People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please
visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The
certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals
from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert
exam.

--
[Image NVDA certified expert]
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.