Emdash displaying weirdly on Focus 40 Blue Braille display with NVDA

Sharni-Lee Ward

GUYS! I didn't realise you'd moved! I was sending to the old list address and wondering why nobody was responding and if I was still subscribed or had typed the address wrong...

But anyways, now that I've found out where yous guys went, I shall get to the point of this message.

So I was recently able to purchase my very own Braille Display and I chose the Focus 40 Blue. I'm loving having it, as I've missed Braille and wanted to read my fave sites using the display as well as write. I look forward to NVDA supporting contracted Braille input. :D

One thing that's puzzling me, however, is the way "—"(the emdash symbol) is displayed on the Focus sometimes. Why it doesn't happen every time mystifies me but it's quite bizarre. My current output table is UEB Grade 2, but I tested this on UK Grade 2 as well and the result was the same. In Microsoft word, and a couple other sites I read from, whenever an emdash appears it's displayed as apostrophe+o-u symbol+x+lower 2014+apostrophe, and I don't know why or how to fix it. I use emdashes (and encounter them while reading)frequently enough that this eight-cell mutant is quite jarring to read. It doesn't NEED to take up that many cells, so why does it? And why only in MS Word  and on specific websites? Is this an NVDA or Focus issue?

It also happens in the Outlook Email editor. That's how I was able to describe what it looks like to me.