Re: A question for users of multiple screenreaders.

Tony Ballou

Hi John,

As a former computer instructor who has gone tech, I can tell you that
it pays to have at least one backup screen reader in your arsenal. Just
last week, I was filling out a survey on the Microsoft site using NVDA
and it didn't read things correctly. I switched to window eyes 9.54 to
read the same survey and it read things without a hitch, window eyes has
saved me in a couple of earlier situations as well. NVDA is still my
main screen reader of choice, however, I'll say it again, it does not
hurt to have a backup screen reader.

Tony

On 10/7/2017 3:55 PM, John Isige wrote:
Hi all. Over the years I've heard several of you say that multiple
screen readers are a good thing, so much so that some have advocated
keeping demo copies installed, just in case. So I have a question. Can
you give specific cases where this is useful?

I ask this because I started using NVDA full time because I decided to
try it for a month. During that time, I ran into one or two things
where NVDA didn't read text, I think installers and the like but I
can't remember exactly, since it was like three or four years ago. I'd
fire up JFW, and it would produce the exact same results. That
demonstrated, to me at least, that I didn't get any real advantages
out of running jaws.

Now don't misunderstand me. I'm not trying to start a fight here. I'm
not saying that jaws is bad or anything. I'm just saying that when I
ran into potential issues with NVDA, jaws didn't solve those issues
either. Since NVDA was doing everything else I wanted, I concluded
that switching wouldn't cause me to lose any access. So I'm curious to
know what things you might gain access to with jaws or another screen
reader that you can't get with NVDA. I suppose the obvious example
would be anything with jaws scripts, I don't know if things like
Dolphin have scripts or not. But I mean, I've just heard people
advocate this, like I've said, you know have a demo copy installed and
stuff like that. So I'd just like to hear of any specific cases where
another screenreader has helped. I think it would be really useful to
know that kind of thing.