Re: A question for users of multiple screenreaders.

Arlene

That is the trouble with sarahtec they make it only their user friendly interface. They have samnet They have a place where you can get described movies. They have facebook blind user friendly. They even have radio stations.  I tried system access from a friend never again. You cant change the settings to your liking. You have to use whatever your friend gives you. Where as Jaws you can put it onto 2 computers for example work and home. You can choose any setting you like for any computer.  If you put system Access to both of your computers you can’t change the settings you can on your main computer and the other one changes with you.  I had to use my friend’s settings to system access.  I even got samnet witch had his e-mail in it. I did not want to read his messages.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of brian
Sent: October-13-17 6:36 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] A question for users of multiple screenreaders.

Several years ago I tried system access but I did not like it.  All of my email would go to my system access email and not my email.  There sam net service was very expensive and my melwhearbytes found 4 trougens and they were all system access or sa and when I called them about I was told that it was a faults possitive.  I don't think so I trust melwhearbytes and what it  founds is true.  I had a 7 day free trial and that was the only time that I ever used that screen reader.  I was not impress with system access and I will not use a screen reader that gives me trogens and puts my email in to their email instead of my email program.  I did like the sam net service but it's way to expensive but there was lots of great content on it.

Brian Sackrider

On 10/13/2017 4:19 AM, Gene wrote:

There is another point that I'll make regarding System Access to Go.  I haven't used the program to any extent for years.  In the old days, it used Dectalk as it's default synthesizer.  These days, I believe it uses E-Speak.  It may be that to get access to Dectalk Speech or Eloquence speech, you will have to buy them.  You can buy them for use with System Access to Go and only System Access to Go from Sarotech (spelling) or you can use SAPI5 synthesizers on your machine.  I don't know if SAPI 4 is supported.  But if you hate E-Speak, you may be stuck with it or with Microsoft's default voice for your version of Windows unless you spend money.

Gene

----- original Message -----

Sent: Friday, October 13, 2017 3:10 AM

I don't know what reviews you have read but they are wrong as a fact, not as an opinion.  It isn't a powerful screen-reader like JAWS or Window-eyes.  It was intended and designed to be simple to use and to meet the needs of undemanding users.  This was years ago before NVDA was available but at that time, it was a considerably less expensive alternative for those who didn't need a powerful screen-reader as just System Access.  Now, there is System Access to Go, which is System Access, made available for free for use at times when you don't have access to a screen-reader.  At the time of release, It could do simple word processing, work with at least some audio players. work well on the Internet and it worked with Outlook Express.  I don't know if the program has changed to any significant extent over time but I would imagine that it supports one or more current e-mail programs now and I wouldn't be surprised if it supports at least one other current browser, Firefox would be my bet if it supports other browsers.

With NVDA, there is little reason to use System Access to Go, which is the Cloud version of System Acccess.  You can try it for free and another list member has sent instructions for how to begin.  You may be prompted about how to see help documentation as you proceed but if not, you may ask here. 

I haven't used it in years to any extent and the interface is different now so I won't go into details.  But for use on the Internet if you are using a computer with no screen-reader, such as at a friend's house, it is useful and now and then, there are sites that work with it that don't work with other screen-readers.  I almost never need it any longer but it's good to have tools available in case you do. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, October 13, 2017 12:41 AM

How do you find System Access use?  Reviews say it is difficult to get
started and use.  It isn't a program I have explored, but as I
transition from Window-Eyes to NVDA as my main computer access program,
it is interesting to explore the alternatives.

Ian Westerland

On 10/13/2017 4:02 PM, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
> I rarely ever use it because NVDA works well for most of my needs. I just use system access to go only if I'm trying to fill out a survey and NVDA doesn't see everything but that doesn't happen too often.
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Travis Siegel
> Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2017 8:34 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] A question for users of multiple screenreaders.
>
> The site claims it needs internet explorer to make most things talk. You can't pay me enough to use that bloated bug ridden piece of crap. No thanks, Guess I'll never be using system access to go ever.
>
>
> On 10/12/2017 11:18 AM, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
>> Hi, Anthony,
>>
>> The link for system access to go is www.satogo.com. Hit alt R to get it running. After you hear it start talking, tab to the create an account button and hit the space bar on it. Type in your username which would be your email address. Then tab to another edit box. Here you'll type your phone number including the area code. After that, you tab to the password field and type in a password. Last but not least, tab to the login button and hit the space bar or enter on it.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Rosemarie
>>
>> P.S. The account is free if you're using it on the internet. You have to be on the internet to be able to use it.
>>
>>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of
>> anthony borg
>> Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2017 5:30 AM
>> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
>> Subject: Re: [nvda] A question for users of multiple screenreaders.
>>
>> Hi rosemarie
>> Can you please explain to me how that system access really works?
>> Thanks in advance
>> Anthony
>>
>> Rosemarie Chavarria
>> Sent: 12 October 2017 06:22
>>
>> Hi, Tony,
>>
>> I had a similar situation. NVDA didn't see everything in the survey that I was trying to fill out for Microsoft so I used system access to go and it worked beautifully.
>>
>> Rosemarie
>>
>>
>>
>> Tony Ballou
>> Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 6:16 PM
>>
>> Hi John,
>>
>>
>> As a former computer instructor who has gone tech, I can tell you that it pays to have at least one backup screen reader in your arsenal. Just last week, I was filling out a survey on the Microsoft site using NVDA and it didn't read things correctly. I switched to window eyes 9.54 to read the same survey and it read things without a hitch, window eyes has saved me in a couple of earlier situations as well. NVDA is still my main screen reader of choice, however, I'll say it again, it does not hurt to have a backup screen reader.
>>
>>
>> Tony
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> On 10/7/2017 3:55 PM, John Isige wrote:
>>> Hi all. Over the years I've heard several of you say that multiple
>>> screen readers are a good thing, so much so that some have advocated
>>> keeping demo copies installed, just in case. So I have a question.
>>> Can you give specific cases where this is useful?
>>>
>>>
>>> I ask this because I started using NVDA full time because I decided
>>> to try it for a month. During that time, I ran into one or two things
>>> where NVDA didn't read text, I think installers and the like but I
>>> can't remember exactly, since it was like three or four years ago.
>>> I'd fire up JFW, and it would produce the exact same results. That
>>> demonstrated, to me at least, that I didn't get any real advantages
>>> out of running jaws.
>>>
>>>
>>> Now don't misunderstand me. I'm not trying to start a fight here. I'm
>>> not saying that jaws is bad or anything. I'm just saying that when I
>>> ran into potential issues with NVDA, jaws didn't solve those issues
>>> either. Since NVDA was doing everything else I wanted, I concluded
>>> that switching wouldn't cause me to lose any access. So I'm curious
>>> to know what things you might gain access to with jaws or another
>>> screen reader that you can't get with NVDA. I suppose the obvious
>>> example would be anything with jaws scripts, I don't know if things
>>> like Dolphin have scripts or not. But I mean, I've just heard people
>>> advocate this, like I've said, you know have a demo copy installed
>>> and stuff like that. So I'd just like to hear of any specific cases
>>> where another screenreader has helped. I think it would be really
>>> useful to know that kind of thing.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.