From: Hareth
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2017 7:54 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA 2017.3 and Outlook 2003

Hi, Jene,
Thanks for the reply,
You've said
But the general statement about quickly losing access is
> incorrect.  End of quote
If its pointed to my previous reply, I didn't say that.
I've said  out dated dead internet related software wont work properly.
And with that I meant even if it worked, it wont be without problems.

On 10/16/17, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> I'm not specifically supporting anyone in terms of taking sides.  I'm
> pointing out conduct I think harms civility and good feeling on the list, no
> matter who might do it and no matter whom it might be directed to.  Of
> course, I'm discussing the specific instance because that is the specific
> conduct.
>
> Regarding other matters, Zara didn't generalize.  She said that Firefox
> isn't working well reliably, but didn't say that that is a general problem
> for users.  The message about how well Firefox works may be contradicted by
> the message about it having problems but these aren't general statements
> about how the program works.  So, while contradictory information about her
> specific case may have been given, it isn't generalized in the message.
>
> Also, you won't quickly lose access to the Internet by using XP or programs
> that aren't upgraded.  Over time, you will be able to use increasingly fewer
> sites and new unsupported features won't work.  Firefox has stopped
> providing new versions for XP.  It offers security upgrades for its last XP
> version but that will stop soon.  That means that the latest version XP
> users can use is 52.x.  That browser will become increasingly vulnerable to
> security flaws but it will work in general for years, gradually becoming
> less useful.  The same with Chrome.  The really old browser in the
> discussion is IE8.  It's so old it is already becoming very limited in what
> can be done.  But the general statement about quickly losing access is
> incorrect.
>
> As a general comment, I often see people use a very bad strategy to get
> help.  They ask how to do something and don't explain the problem.  They
> just ask how to do something, which they guess or think is their solution to
> the problem.  It often isn't, or there are better solutions.  But because
> the person only asks how to do something, no one on list can address the
> actual problem.  So the person only gets answers about how to do what they
> ask about, as in this case.  In this case, it was asked why Internet
> Explorer is so slow.  That gave us no information about the problem.  I
> often see this being done and it often results in a lot of discussion about
> how to do what is asked and doesn't deal with the actual problem.  At some
> point, the person who asked the question often gives more information,
> perhaps because the solution the person is trying doesn't work and then, the
> actual problem is discussed.
>
> I'm not blaming anyone nor criticizing anyone.  I'm saying that on this and
> other lists, when asking for help with a problem related to a computer, it
> is important to give the details of the actual problem unless you are
> absolutely sure you know the solution and alot of the time, questions about
> how to do what someone things is the solution either don't solve the problem
> or better solutions are available.
>
> Gene

>>> xp
>>> does.  He said it's all outdated but it works for what he does.  He wont