Re: Slightly OT: Accessible blogging platform

Sarah k Alawami

Yeah, you are hosting from wordpress.com if I read that correctly. I would maybe try a self hosted wordpress site if you can.

Take care and be blessed.

On Oct 20, 2017, at 11:43 AM, David Griffith <daj.griffith@...> wrote:

My Wordpress blog is the first one in my signature .

Sent: 20 October 2017 19:15
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Slightly OT: Accessible blogging platform

Just to be clear you are using wordpress.com and not a self hosted wordpres ssite right? If so that might be the issue as that site is a pain in the back side to navigate wiht any screen reader.

On Oct 20, 2017, at 10:06 AM, David Griffith <daj.griffith@...> wrote:

I don’t think its that oddat all. I have read others complaining  about the difficulties of Wordpress.
To answer your question specifically yes I did attempt to “expand the menus but NVDA appeared to struggle to focus on the results of the expanded menus.
This was also the experience using jas 18 and 2018 using Firefox and Windows 10 but not the Fall update.

There seems to have been some changes on the site recently which has deteriorated the situation. Up until recently I was able to publish OK. Now it seems impossible. As I say I am getting around this by using the email submission feature but this should benot be necessary.

David Griffith

Sent: 20 October 2017 17:30
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Slightly OT: Accessible blogging platform

How odd. I can use wordpress fine, at least on mac, no focus issues. Did you  try hitting the expand button when it comes to the menues?

Take care all.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website: http://tffppodcast.com
For stuff we sell, mac training materials and  tutorials go to http://tffppodcast.com/premium
and for hosting options go to http://tffppodcast.com/hosting
to subscribe to the feed click here:
And for the listen page go here: 

On Oct 20, 2017, at 1:04 AM, David Griffith <daj.griffith@...> wrote:

Wordpress may be technically accessible but personally I find it extremely confusing and difficult to use.
It is certainly not straightforward.
For example I have recently been stuck in submitting only as draft and using NVDA and Jaws could find no way of amending this o actually publish. Rather than publishing when you hit the publish button you re taken to other options which my screenreader at least struggles to deal with.
In the end I managed to struggle through my wordpress blog settings and managed to change them to allow submission by email which has sorted this to a basic level. Even here on the settings page it was not at all clear. I hit enable buttons but it was not clear as to what these buttons referred to.
More by luck than anything else I managed to make the change.

I think Wordpress has a lot to do to make the site more usable.

David Griffith 
On 3 Jan 2017, at 07:10, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:

Hi.
Well if you use the latest wordpress theme then it will always be accessible.
But most things injegno I think is what is being used on another site but there is a custom style and all that jazz.
I am a beta tester of the wordpress platform and our themes are always accessible, the 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 and 2012 themes all should work.
maybe our older ones will work to I am unsure but the latest theme you get with the latest version should always work.
Its easy enough if you do have a website or server.
As long as you have php 5.0 or whatever the latest version of that and mysql is installed as well as cpanel then its about all you need.
You need a mysql database to run the entire junket.
You then just load the base package and configure it, and bar some plugins it should just autoupdate for you in most cases.
Wordpress.com is good though I use it and its mobile site for my personal blog.
What I have done after creation is use 
wordpress.com/wp-admin and then its got me into the site then I use m.wordpress.com to access that.
But its easy as long as you turn the visual editor off.
For other platforms.
If wordpress is not your thing the next easy one is blogger.
Blogger and blogspot are part of google and all account holders of google including gmail and youtube have access to this.
3.  droople and maybe a couple others are usable but ofcause there are different setups it all depends what you want.

On 3/01/2017 7:41 p.m., Quentin Christensen wrote:

Hi Ketan,

I know a few people use WordPress.  There are various themes and I believe
some are inaccessible.  I haven't had a problem with any I've tried though
I probably haven't been as adventurous as some.  You can setup WordPress on
your own site or use a host like wordpress.comwho host it for you.

Regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 5:32 PM, Ketan Kothari <muktaketan@...> wrote:

Hi friends,

I intend to create personal blog and would be grateful if someone can
guide me to accessible blogging platform.  Please.

With best wishes,

Ketan

--
Ketan Kothari
Phone: [r] 24223281,
Cell: 9987550614
MSN ID: muktaketan@...
Skype ID: Ketan3333

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.