Re: Eloquence&Vocalizer Gives NVDA A Real Screen Reader Feel To Me

Gene

Eloquence is not one of the too human sounding voices and it speaks very quickly.  I think it can speak as fast as 700 words per minute or faster.  I consider its clarity of speech to be superior to most synthesizers.  It may be that some of the newer ones, available in the last number of years, do very well at fast speeds as well.  But most synthesizers of the newer variety, that use bits of real human voices are quite poor and even more so at fast speeds.

From: Blee Blat
Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2017 1:42 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Eloquence&Vocalizer Gives NVDA A Real Screen Reader Feel To Me

And then there is me. I don't like any of the available voices, because
they're all too human sounding and speak too slowly. I liked the
DoubleTalk voices, or maybe the Accent or Artic voices, but none of
those are supported any longer. I put up with synthesized speech because
braille support is never well-tested on most platforms, and the braille
displays I end up buying always end up being discontinued and it seems
you can't get a simple braille terminal any more. You have to have one
of these crappy note taker things, but my phone has better specs than
these devices. So screen reading technology is currently sucking. And if
it was unclear by "simple braille terminal" I mean just a display that
sits under a laptop or keyboard that just outputs braille from the
computer. I type too fast for the regular cheap plastic keyboards to
keep up so braille input would lag too much to be useful. I just want a
simple dumb braille display that outputs braille and does nothing else.
If anyone else has any suggestions, I'd love to hear, and yes if I get
working braille again I'll test all the screen readers I can and fix
them if they work badly if I'm allowed to do that.