Re: test

Gene

Perhaps you have to do what Rosemary says in a later message, to hear anything spoken since, evidently, you have to leave and return to the window. So you may not get an indication that you are replying to a message without doing this.  If things worked properly, you would hear something. 

Gene 

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2017 8:03 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] test

Hi Gene,

I guess we take things for granted.  I just hit ctrl r to reply to this message and I didn’t hear it spoken. 

Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2017 5:33 PM

Why is the question being asked in the first place?  Unless you have NVDA set to speak keys such as control, shift, the arrow keys, etc. you won't hear such commands spoken at any time.  You know from the response of programs what is occurring.  If the reply message opens, NVDA will say something that will tell you that a reply message has opened.  If you hear nothing or somethin incorrect, you have issued the wrong command or the command didn't work properly.  When I issue a command that should result in something being spoken, I don't continue until I hear the start of the speech confirming the command.  If I do, I might start writing a message before the program is ready to receive it or take an action in another program before the program is ready to take the action.  Being excessively dependent on hearing keys announced and basing what you do on hearing keys announced rather than the response of Windows or the program you are working in isn't a good way to work with Windows or programs.  I don't have such keys announced, which is the default, because it wouldn't benefit me in any way to hear them announced.  Even if I did hear them announced, I wouldn't take actions until the program indicated that it was ready to have actions taken.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2017 4:07 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hi, Gary,

What I did to hear the keys spoken was to hit the alt key. It says "lower ribbon reply control R". Then I hit enter on a message to reply and heard the keys spoken.

Hope this helps.

Rosemarie

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gary Metzler
Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2017 1:34 PM

Thanks Rosemary.

I have a question.  When using the mail app and I reply to a message using ctrl r I don’t hear the keys spoken.  Is this normal behavior?  Thanks,

Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2017 1:31 PM

I got it.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gary Metzler
Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2017 10:21 AM
Subject: [nvda] test

Hi All,

I am writing this message in the win10 mail app.

Regards, Gary kn4ox

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.