Re: New Blog Post: The GitHub Games Pt. 0 - Background, Introduction and Series Overview

Well, developers also use shortened words.

I am not sure exactly what git actually means except the g is obviously gnu, u is unix and I am not sure what gn stands for right now.

To be honest as an admin I have never thought much into what stuff is.

Most of the time if it works and is used I just load it and be done.

Havn't needed to wander at it.

However any shortened words usually come from longer words which are shortened versions of other words which if not done so would be big.

Can you imagine if github actually was spoken as a full word.

Firstly gnu would have to be spoken in full then as long as it had full words and if those were not shortened and assuming things did not get more complex,.

Its a long time since bmp was bit map image and gif was graphics interchange format and stuff like that.

I suspect the more complex stuff has got developmental words have increased to such a volume that typing out a name would use a lot of the page imagine what a manual would look like with no shortening.

On 25/10/2017 1:29 a.m., Antony Stone wrote:
Github is named after the version control system git, which was developed by
Linus Torvalds with a full understanding of its meaning in English.

Antony.

On Tuesday 24 October 2017 at 14:22:13, Brian's Mail list account via
Groups.Io wrote:

For my part, I'm wondering who would name a development platform Github.
They either had a warped sense of humour, or were not aware of the meaning
of Git in the UK English lexicon. grin.