Re: New Blog Post: The GitHub Games Pt. 0 - Background, Introduction and Series Overview

Antony Stone

See Start Foote's reply for the background of git.

For the short version (quoting the creator, Linus Torvalds) "I'm an
egotistical bastard, and I name all my projects after myself. First 'Linux',
now 'git'."

As far as GNU is concerned, it stands for "GNU is Not Unix", emphasising that
all the GNU utilities are written from scratch and are not based on the
original Unix source code.

The G in git has nothing to do with the G in GNU.

Antony.

On Wednesday 25 October 2017 at 00:10:42, Shaun Everiss wrote:

Well, developers also use shortened words.

I am not sure exactly what git actually means except the g is obviously
gnu, u is unix and I am not sure what gn stands for right now.

To be honest as an admin I have never thought much into what stuff is.

Most of the time if it works and is used I just load it and be done.

Havn't needed to wander at it.

However any shortened words usually come from longer words which are
shortened versions of other words which if not done so would be big.

Can you imagine if github actually was spoken as a full word.

Firstly gnu would have to be spoken in full then as long as it had full
words and if those were not shortened and assuming things did not get
more complex,.

Its a long time since bmp was bit map image and gif was graphics
interchange format and stuff like that.

I suspect the more complex stuff has got developmental words have
increased to such a volume that typing out a name would use a lot of the
page imagine what a manual would look like with no shortening.

On 25/10/2017 1:29 a.m., Antony Stone wrote:
Github is named after the version control system git, which was developed
by Linus Torvalds with a full understanding of its meaning in English.

Antony.

On Tuesday 24 October 2017 at 14:22:13, Brian's Mail list account via

Groups.Io wrote:
For my part, I'm wondering who would name a development platform Github.
They either had a warped sense of humour, or were not aware of the
meaning of Git in the UK English lexicon. grin.

"640 kilobytes (of RAM) should be enough for anybody."

- Bill Gates

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.