Re: Using Thunderbird filters

Rosemarie Chavarria

When I got thi s computer last year, my

nephew set me up with thunderbird. By default, thunderberd sets up gmail as an imap account.

On 10/26/2017 12:36 PM, Gene wrote:
I don't know how to specify a pop account in thunderbird, but why do you believe you are using an IMAP account.  I don't know how you set up your account to start with.  I set up an account on my copy of Thunderbird and I used the automatic setup feature.  I was given, I assume, a pop account because my messages were downloaded.  they are in my program.  It may be that pop is the default choice.  But someone who knows more about the program can discuss the matter further.  Also, your description of the problem is unclear.  You say that some messages go to the inbox.  Are you saying that some messages that should use the same rule go where they should and some go to the inbox?  If so, then the question is why the rule intercepts some messages and not others.  But at this point, I can't tell whether your rule is not working at all or if it is working with some messages and not others on the same list.

Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2017 2:07 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Using Thunderbird filters

How do I change to a pop account in thunderbird?

Thanks.

Rosemarie

On 10/26/2017 11:52 AM, Gene wrote:
Thunderbird supports message rules in IMAP.  Some e-mail programs don't.  Although Thunderbird supports message rules in IMAP, I don't know if that has anything to do with the problem.  If you don't need IMAP for synchronizing messages across devices, POP3 is, in my opinion, a better setting to use for only one device.

Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2017 1:37 PM

Ah, that explains then. Thanks.

Rosemarie

On 10/26/2017 11:35 AM, Gerardo Corripio wrote:

Probably because filters only work for Pop3 and not iMap?

El 26/10/2017 a las 12:46 p.m., Rosemarie Chavarria escribió:

Hi, Gene,

Here are the steps I took to create the rules. I'll use the music list I'm on as an example.

1. I went to tools with alt T and hit f for message filters.

2. I tabbed to the new button and hit the space bar on it.

3. I typed the name for my rule. It's called audioourplace. That's the music list I'm on.

4. I unchecked the box that says "manually check for new messages" or something like that.

5. Next, I tabbed to the box that says "match all of the following" and then tabbed to the combo box and chose the "to" field.

6. I tabbed to the box for "contains". Then I tabbed to an edit box and typed audioourplace@....

7. I tabbed to where you choose a folder. I chose the folder for the music list and hit enter on it.

8. I tabbed to the ok button and hit the space bar on it.

9. When I was taken back to the screen where you'd create a new rule, I tabbed to the run now button and hit enter on it. The filter did work for awhile but then I got new messages from that list in my inbox so I don't know where the problem could be.

I hope these steps explain better what I was trying to do.

Rosemarie