Re: Using Thunderbird filters

Antony Stone

Sorry, I just need to clarify something again.

Are you saying that NO messages from audioourplace@googlegroups.com get
filtered, or are you saying that some do and some don't?

It's important for us to understand whether you are saying that one of your
rules always works and another one never works, or whether you are saying that
one rule sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

Thanks,

Antony.

On Thursday 26 October 2017 at 22:34:29, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

Messages not being filtered: audioourplace@googlegroups.com

Messages being filtered: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hope this helps somewhat.

On 10/26/2017 1:29 PM, Antony Stone wrote:
The same way you found them when you worked out what to look for in the
filter rules?

If you don't know how to find the headers, how did you create the filter
rule?

Antony.

On Thursday 26 October 2017 at 22:27:32, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
How do I find the headers?

On 10/26/2017 1:24 PM, Antony Stone wrote:
I can only repeat my request:

Can you show us an example of the header taken from one of the emails
which does get filtered, and an example taken from one of the emails
which does not get filtered?

Antony.

On Thursday 26 October 2017 at 22:21:43, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
I have no problem so-far with the messages from the NVDA list but some
of the messages form the audioourplace aren't being filtered.

On 10/26/2017 1:19 PM, Antony Stone wrote:
So, I understand that to mean that you have a rule defined to match
some header which contains "isaudioourplace", and some emails which
you expect to have that header are being filtered, and other emails
which you expect to have that header are not being filtered.

Can you show us an example of the header taken from one of the emails
which does get filtered, and an example taken from one of the emails
which does not get filtered?

Antony.

On Thursday 26 October 2017 at 22:16:32, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
Hi, Anthony,

Some of the messages aren't getting filtered according to how
they're supposed to be matched. I don't know how much clearer I can
be. The header isaudioourplace.

On 10/26/2017 1:10 PM, Antony Stone wrote:
Can you give us an example of an email which did not get filtered,
along with the rule which you expected to filter it?

We don't need to see the full email - we only need to see whichever
part the filter was supposed to act on.

Is there any pattern to which ones work and which ones don't - such
as the rules at the top of the list work, and the ones at the end
don't, etc?

Also, just to be clear, are you saying the some of your rules are
never filtering any emails they're supposed to filter, so they do
nothing, or are you saying that some emails get filtered by the
rule they're supposd to match and other emails do not get filtered
by the same rule?

Antony.

On Thursday 26 October 2017 at 22:02:47, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
Only some of them got filtered.

On 10/26/2017 12:44 PM, John Isige wrote:
Question: Did all messages stop getting filtered, or only some of
them? Again, if some messages are filtered and some are not, I'd
check the headers of a filtered message and an unfiltered one to
see if there are any differences. I see you use the to: field. If
somebody replies to a person and has the list address in the cc:
field, then obviously it won't get filtered. These are the kinds
of things to start checking for. If you have a case like that,
you might need to set up two or three rules for the list to make
sure every message gets filtered and moved to its folder.

On 10/26/2017 12:46, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
Hi, Gene,

Here are the steps I took to create the rules. I'll use the
music list I'm on as an example.

1. I went to tools with alt T and hit f for message filters.

2. I tabbed to the new button and hit the space bar on it.

3. I typed the name for my rule. It's called audioourplace.
That's the music list I'm on.

4. I unchecked the box that says "manually check for new
messages" or something like that.

5. Next, I tabbed to the box that says "match all of the
following" and then tabbed to the combo box and chose the "to"
field.

6. I tabbed to the box for "contains". Then I tabbed to an edit
box and typed audioourplace@googlegroups.com
<mailto:audioourplace@googlegroups.com>.

7. I tabbed to where you choose a folder. I chose the folder for
the music list and hit enter on it.

8. I tabbed to the ok button and hit the space bar on it.

9. When I was taken back to the screen where you'd create a new
rule, I tabbed to the run now button and hit enter on it. The
filter did work for awhile but then I got new messages from that
list in my inbox so I don't know where the problem could be.

I hope these steps explain better what I was trying to do.

Rosemarie