Yes, it would help if Rosemarie could tell us exactly what her filtering rule
says, otherwise we're just guessing, based on how we might do it.

Antony.

On Thursday 26 October 2017 at 23:00:49, Gene wrote:

I don't think that will help. Assuming the correct address is being used,
then the problem may be something like using the from line instead of the
to line in the message rule.

From: Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2017 3:45 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Using Thunderbird filters

I'm not sure but I'll ask the owner.

On 10/26/2017 1:43 PM, Antony Stone wrote:
Does that Google group have a publicly-available message archive
somewhere, so we could see the emails on it without having to subscribe?

If so, can you tell us:

a) where the archive can be found

b) the sender, date, time and timezone of two messages:
- one which got filtered by your rule

- one which did not get filtered by your rule

Then we might be able to look at the emessages for ourselves and see if
we can spot a difference, and why your rule might sometimes not be
working.

Antony.

On Thursday 26 October 2017 at 22:34:29, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
Messages not being filtered: audioourplace@googlegroups.com

Messages being filtered: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hope this helps somewhat.

On 10/26/2017 1:29 PM, Antony Stone wrote:
The same way you found them when you worked out what to look for in the
filter rules?

If you don't know how to find the headers, how did you create the
filter rule?

Antony.

On Thursday 26 October 2017 at 22:27:32, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
How do I find the headers?

On 10/26/2017 1:24 PM, Antony Stone wrote:
I can only repeat my request:

Can you show us an example of the header taken from one of the emails
which does get filtered, and an example taken from one of the emails
which does not get filtered?

Antony.

On Thursday 26 October 2017 at 22:21:43, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
I have no problem so-far with the messages from the NVDA list but
some of the messages form the audioourplace aren't being filtered.

On 10/26/2017 1:19 PM, Antony Stone wrote:
So, I understand that to mean that you have a rule defined to match
some header which contains "isaudioourplace", and some emails which
you expect to have that header are being filtered, and other emails
which you expect to have that header are not being filtered.

Can you show us an example of the header taken from one of the
emails which does get filtered, and an example taken from one of
the emails which does not get filtered?

Antony.

On Thursday 26 October 2017 at 22:16:32, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
Hi, Anthony,

Some of the messages aren't getting filtered according to how
they're supposed to be matched. I don't know how much clearer I
can be. The header isaudioourplace.

On 10/26/2017 1:10 PM, Antony Stone wrote:
Can you give us an example of an email which did not get
filtered, along with the rule which you expected to filter it?

We don't need to see the full email - we only need to see
whichever part the filter was supposed to act on.

Is there any pattern to which ones work and which ones don't -
such as the rules at the top of the list work, and the ones at
the end don't, etc?

Also, just to be clear, are you saying the some of your rules are
never filtering any emails they're supposed to filter, so they do
nothing, or are you saying that some emails get filtered by the
rule they're supposd to match and other emails do not get
filtered by the same rule?

Antony.

On Thursday 26 October 2017 at 22:02:47, Rosemarie Chavarria
wrote:
Only some of them got filtered.

On 10/26/2017 12:44 PM, John Isige wrote:
Question: Did all messages stop getting filtered, or only some
of them? Again, if some messages are filtered and some are
not, I'd check the headers of a filtered message and an
unfiltered one to see if there are any differences. I see you
use the to: field. If somebody replies to a person and has the
list address in the cc: field, then obviously it won't get
filtered. These are the kinds of things to start checking for.
If you have a case like that, you might need to set up two or
three rules for the list to make sure every message gets
filtered and moved to its folder.

On 10/26/2017 12:46, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
Hi, Gene,

Here are the steps I took to create the rules. I'll use the
music list I'm on as an example.

1. I went to tools with alt T and hit f for message filters.

2. I tabbed to the new button and hit the space bar on it.

3. I typed the name for my rule. It's called audioourplace.
That's the music list I'm on.

4. I unchecked the box that says "manually check for new
messages" or something like that.

5. Next, I tabbed to the box that says "match all of the
following" and then tabbed to the combo box and chose the "to"
field.

6. I tabbed to the box for "contains". Then I tabbed to an
edit box and typed audioourplace@googlegroups.com
<mailto:audioourplace@googlegroups.com>.

7. I tabbed to where you choose a folder. I chose the folder
for the music list and hit enter on it.

8. I tabbed to the ok button and hit the space bar on it.

9. When I was taken back to the screen where you'd create a
new rule, I tabbed to the run now button and hit enter on it.
The filter did work for awhile but then I got new messages
from that list in my inbox so I don't know where the problem
could be.

I hope these steps explain better what I was trying to do.

Rosemarie