Von: Christo de Klerk [mailto:christodeklerk@...]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 20. April 2016 14:30
An: nvda@groups.io
Betreff: Re: [nvda] DOING AWAY WITH ESPEAK

Hello from another South African

eSpeak has some features not found in other synthesisers which, in my
view, make it an essential synthesiser to have around. It is the only
one I know which can pronounce the International Phonetic Alphabet and
the Greek alphabet when using an English voice, which is extremely
important for anyone interested in linguistics. It reads diacritic
characters correctly which expensive synthesisers like Ivona cannot even
do. Apart from these linguistic features, eSpeak must be just about the
most responsive synthesiser. It also probably is the most accurate in
its pronunciation of any synthesiser I know; in other words, it
mispronounces fewer words than other synthesisers do. I think the author
of eSpeak, Jonathan Duddington, did a truly wonderful job with eSpeak.

Another point: if you don't particularly care for the default voices
used by eSpeak, you can install and use the MBrola voices which are also
supported by eSpeak and which can pronounce everything eSpeak does.
These voices have a very natural sound. I use the UK English voice.
Installing MBrola is admittedly a mission, but once installed they
definitely are worth the trouble.

Kind regards

Other Christo (by the way, it is not true that half the men in South
Africa are called Christo).

On 2016/04/20 1:15 PM, Jacob Kruger wrote:
Christo,

Am also based in SA, and, yes, eSpeak is my choice when using NVDA,
partly due to it handling multiple languages, but, also, since while
it's not particularly natural sounding, it is definitely very
clear-sounding, makes it easy to be pretty sure what you're hearing it
say, etc. - which is also pretty important when working as a
programmer/software developer.

In other words, while understand why some people might prefer somewhat
natural sounding voices, they're definitely not of too much interest
to some of us, all the time...<smile>

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2016-04-20 10:53 AM, Christo Vorster wrote:
Hi list

I do not necessarily agree with the idea to do away with ESpeak. I
believe that is a case of "horses for causes."

In South Africa, more specifically, at the Institute for the Blind in
Worcester where I am a lecturer, we extensively use ESpeak to read
Afrikaans. And may I say, the quality of ESpeak's Afrikaans is actually
very good.

I won't mind if the developers do away with ESpeak, but before that
happens I want definite proof that the replacement program has, at
least, the same quality, preferably, better.

Cheers

Christo