Re: I have a couple questions regarding NVDA and braille, please.

Aman Singer

Hello Quentin and all,

Thank you, Quentin, for the explanation of the context fill option, I did not understand it before but understand it perfectly now. Permit me to add something for the original poster, if I may, though, about braille input commands. Quentin writes:

Re input, we haven't setup any Windows or NVDA commands to use gestures from the Braille display out of the box, but you can go to Input Gestures and assign new gestures to any command.

I'm not sure if this will work with the original poster's device, but the braille extender add-on

https://andreabc.net/projects/NVDA_addons/BrailleExtender/

allows those displays with which it works to be set up as full, or very nearly full, keyboard replacements. The original poster may wish to look into this and see if it is helpful for his device.

HTH,

Aman

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 10:26 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] I have a couple questions regarding NVDA and braille, please.

Hi Christopher,

Ok firstly re the "Focus Context Presentation" option.  There isn't a direct link to it in the User Guide, but if you go to "Braille settings" https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/documentation/userGuide.html#BrailleSettings and scroll down, or just search for the phrase, it lists:

"Focus context presentation

This option allows you to choose what context information NVDA will show on the braille display when an object gets focus. Context information refers to the hierarchy of objects containing the focus. For example, when you focus a list item, this list item is part of a list. This list might be contained by a dialog, etc. Please consult the section about object navigation for more information about the hierarchy that applies to objects in NVDA.

When set to fill display for context changes, NVDA will try to display as much context information as possible on the braille display, but only for the parts of the context that have changed. For the example above, this means that when changing focus to the list, NVDA will show the list item on the braille display. Furthermore, if there is enough space left on the braille display, NVDA will try to show that the list item is part of a list. If you then start moving through the list with your arrow keys, it is assumed that you are aware that you are still in the list. Thus, for the remaining list items you focus, NVDA will only show the focused list item on the display. In order for you to read the context again (i.e. that you are in a list and that the list is part of a dialog), you will have to scroll your braille display back.

When this option is set to always fill the display, NVDA will try to show as much context information as possible on the braille display, regardless of whether you have seen the same context information before. This has the advantage that NVDA will fit as much information as possible on the display. However, the downside is that there is always a difference in the position where the focus starts on the braille display. This can make it difficult to skim a long list of items, for example, as you will need to continually move your finger to find the start of the item. This was the default behavior for NVDA 2017.2 and before.

When you set the focus context presentation option to only show the context information when scrolling back, NVDA never shows context information on your braille display by default. Thus, in the example above, NVDA will display that you focused a list item. However, in order for you to read the context (i.e. that you are in a list and that the list is part of a dialog), you will have to scroll your braille display back.

To toggle focus context presentation from anywhere, please assign a custom gesture using the Input Gestures dialog."

Re input, we haven't setup any Windows or NVDA commands to use gestures from the Braille display out of the box, but you can go to Input Gestures and assign new gestures to any command.  The section from the user guide (which is also relavent for the last line of the focus context presentation bit above if you are interested) is: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/documentation/userGuide.html#InputGestures

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 2:33 AM, Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07@...> wrote:

Good morning guys.

I have a couple of questions that I am hoping you all can help me with.

1. I am using a Packmate Omni 3.70 firmware BX 20 braille display via USB. I am not understanding one of the options under the braille settings dialog box, and hope someone can explain what it does.

There is an option, it's the very very last one in the screen. It says Focus context presentation.

Right now, it's on fill display for context.

Can one of you please explain to me what the different options are, and what they do in that context menu?

My other question is, I saw that there are two combo boxes for setting your braille table. One for input, and one for output.

I own an old Braille Sense Onhand from Hymns, with the most up to date 8.5 firmware.

Obviously, being this is a full notetaker, it has a full braille keyboard on it.

So, I'm curious where might I be able to find a list of the commands which I can use with an 8 dot enabled braille keyboard. This way, if I chose to use my braille keyboard instead of my regular computer keyboard, I could.

I think that would be just totally totally awesome!

---
Christopher Gilland
Co-founder of Genuine Safe Haven Ministries

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.