Re: lock NVDA + f2

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

No, before (in 2016.4) NVDA would not keep changing modes on me just because it got to an edit box if I had specifically set it to browse mode.  Now, it doesn't care if I set it to browse mode or not, it still switches into edit mode when it encounters an edit field, and let me tell you, it's extremely frustrating if I'm trying to get past something like a login form, especially on sites like goodreads.com or similar sites, because there's something like 12 edit boxes before you get to the end of the page where the real login button is if you're wanting to use another service to do the logging in and not log in directly with the site.  This kind of thing did not happen when I was using 2016.4, but now it does with 2017.3, and it's actually the only thing I have problems with on NVDA, without this issue, NVDA works perfectly for me using chrome.

Although, I must correct my previous statement that it happens 100 percent of the time, it's more like 95 percent of the time, I did find one or two sites where it doesn't do this, but the large majority of sites do exhibit this behavior, and turning off cursor following is not an option I like to use, because sometimes routing cursors doesn't work properly, and there's no other way to get the system cursor where I need it to be.

On 11/3/2017 2:45 PM, Gene wrote:
That isn't what I described.  What I said is that if you manually turn forms mode on, it will stay on.  You are discussing behavior in browse mode.  If you turn browse mode on, then the behavior you describe will occur unless you set NVDA not to change to forms mode automatically.  It doesn't matter if you turn browse mode on manually or if it is on because it is on when you start browsing, the behavior doesn't change.  Controling this behavior is available in the Browse Mode settings.  I believe the check box you uncheck is Automatic focus mode for focus changes. There is another check box, Automatic focus mode for caret movement, which I also have unchecked.  I don't remember what it does but others will probably explain it.

Sent: Friday, November 03, 2017 1:00 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] lock NVDA + f2

It happens with every single web site I encounter that requires input in multiple fields.  I can set NVDA to browse mode (that's the default right?) then every time I encounter an edit field, NVDA automatically switches to edit mode regardless of whether I've previously told it to be in browse mode or not.  It happens 100 percent of the time on each and every web site I encounter edit fields on, so it is definitely not a once in a while thing.  Find yourself any web site that requires logins, or perhaps one with a signup form, and the behavior is always exactly the same, whether I've set it specifically to browse mode or not.

Re the inconsistent behaviour in Chrome, can you give some steps to reproduce please?

Eg:
2. Press ...
3. Press ...

Re the issue of playing certain browser based games, are they self voicing?  IE: Does NVDA speak useful information while using them?  If you don't have to have NVDA, then you could put NVDA in sleep mode with NVDA+shift+s.  Note that will put NVDA to sleep while the current application is active.  EG if you are using Chrome, them NVDA will wake up when you go to another application (or the alt+tab window), but as long as you are in a Chrome window, NVDA will be "asleep".

Regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 9:50 AM, Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...> wrote:

This is the way browse mode is supposed to work, but this is not the current behavior of NVDA in chrome.  I get browse mode turning on regardless of whether I've specifically turned it off or not.  This didn't happen with earlier versions of NVDA, so it's something fairly new, though I'm not sure which version started doing this, but it definitely didn't do it in 2016.4, but it does with 2017.3.  I don't know which in between version broke it, because I upgraded directly, since I wanted the kindle functionality, and had no reason to upgrade before then.

On 11/2/2017 2:07 PM, Gene wrote:
Browse mode is supposed to stay off regardless of what happens until you turn it on again.  If you close the browser and reopen it, browse mode will be on but when you manually turn it off, it stays off for the session until you turn it on.