Re: NVDA and office 2016

Hi,

Can you try one more thing for me: what about Narrator? If it does not happen with Narrator, then I’ll remind Mick to give this the highest of highest of priorities.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve Nutt
Sent: Friday, November 10, 2017 9:18 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and office 2016

Sorry joseph, but that answer is nonsense.

I have the latest build of Office 365 on the fast ring and it is still not fixed.

So I just opened NVDA, then I opened Outlook, then read some Email.  All was fine.  Then I switched to a folder, and Crash!  Outlook Has Stopped Working.

I don’t call that fixed, do you?

Now if the only screen reader I had was NVDA, and I was trying to earn a crust, what kind of support would I get?

Let me see, JAWS and Supernova have fixed the problem in Outlook, so what’s the difference?  Oh wait, they are paid for programs.

In the case of JAWS, I Emailed FS, and they told me it would be fixed very soon.  Then they released a patch for JAWS 18, which specifically fixed these folder crashes.

Now again, I’m in the workplace and I want to get my job done.  I Email nvaccess, and say help I can’t use my tool with NVDA that I could use before.  How long would I expect to wait to get a fix?

It’s been a long time guys for this fix to happen.

My point really is that in order to get that level of support in the workplace from NVAccess, I am guessing they’d have to pay a considerable amount.

So wouldn’t that be the same as buying a screen reader?  I come back to what I’ve always said, and before Laz pipes in, I know I am a supplier of access tech, including JAWS, I believe NVDA really only is for the hobbiest and is not a mission critical app.

Of course, I’d love to be proven wrong on this, but when the rubber hits the road, in terms of work, NVDA just doesn’t cut it.

Quickbooks is another example, there is no add-on for it, but there are JAWS scripts.  Most of the addons are for consumer products.

I personally would love to see the day when NVDA is good enough to use 24-7, but for me that day is not here yet.

All the best

Steve

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: 10 November 2017 17:01

Hi,

It also depends on which build of Office 365 you’ve got, because sometimes that makes a difference (fixes are in Outlook, for instance).

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve Nutt
Sent: Friday, November 10, 2017 7:34 AM

Hi Quentin,

Now if we could persuade NVDA to stop crashing every time you change Outlook folders, Office would be usable again.

I know Freedom Sci had to hack around this problem with MS, something to do with UIA calls.

All the best

Steve

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: 08 November 2017 22:58

Hi Mary,

Office 2016 is in many ways similar to Office 2013.  NVDA works very well with both, and in a couple of cases, Microsoft have fixed bugs in 2016 so there are some things that work better.  I wrote the official NV Access training material for Microsoft Word and Excel using Office 2016.  The material itself works for Office 2010 to 2016 (I found in more cases I was noting a difference in the behaviour of Office 2010 compared to the other two, rather than a new difference in Office 2016).

If you are interested, our material is available from: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 9:42 AM, Mary Otten <motten53@...> wrote:

Hi all,
I was just looking on Jean‘s website, Accessibility central.net, and there was a tutorial there for using Microsoft Word with NVDA. It mentioned office 2013. I have a friend who uses a different screen reader, and he also uses 2013. Is 2016 accessible? I hope so, because that seems to be the currently available version.
Mary

Sent from my iPhone

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.