Re: NVDA & Mathematical Notation

Patrick Le Baudour

Hello,
I don't know much, too recent in blindness, but since nobody else replied yet, here is what i know:
apart from unicode symbols added (not much use for complex formulas, but sometimes handy), there is the possibility to use MathPlayer directly once it is installed. It allows to read MathML content. It can be downloaded at http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathplayer/ .

It is a far from perfect solution, there are other things around, but nothing is complete and, as far as I know, there is no free tool to read pdf mathematical content (and that would be like the holy grail as most math ressources are in pdf) .

-- Patrick

Le 20/04/2016 02:06, Brian Vogel a écrit :
Hello All,

My most recent client is a student who is going to be taking a
number of statistics classes with a lot of material containing complex
mathematical formulae. I have repeatedly heard that NVDA is by far the
best screen reader when it comes to reading mathematical notation
correctly. That being said, I do not know either:

* how one goes about making NVDA do this
* what formatting is required in the electronic text, whether online
or in PDF files (or whatever), that is necessary for NVDA to work
with them

any guidance that's specific to NVDA, or even broader information
regarding dealing with mathematical notation assistive technology, would
be much appreciated. Any non-NVDA info can be taken off list, if that's
required, but this is such a peculiar niche that pulling in as much
information as possible would be good for future readers of the forum.

I have to believe that, no matter how good any of the screen readers or
the like have gotten, that there will be occasions where a real, live
human reader is going to be necessary to deal with certain texts,
particularly those only available "on paper." I've yet to find
anything, e.g. OpenBook or the like, that can "snap" math texts and
create anything functional from anything other than the bits of regular
text between the math. Please correct me if I'm wrong.