Re: ESpeak

Christo Vorster

I saw this message too late, but am glad that you found the rest. Listen and let me know whether you hear the "loose false teeth" clattering

-----Original Message-----
From: Christo de Klerk [mailto:christodeklerk@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, 21 April 2016 10:39 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] ESpeak

Hello again Christo

Please ignore my previous message. I have seen now that there are a lot of voices that can be used for Afrikaans. This is something new. I didn't notice it, because I have not been using eSpeak that comes with NVDA, but a version that I installed separately which I can also use from other programs. This is a nice new feature. I tried a number of the voices and I think for Afrikaans I like Rob the best. Thank you for opening my ears to the new voices. I learnt something today.

Regards

Christo

On 2016/04/21 7:14 AM, Christo Vorster wrote:
Hi Angela and List

I understand exactly what you say. In Afrikaans I have the same problem. It is true that many of the Afrikaans speaking people pronounce their "r" like the French, but it is not the norm.

I echo your sentiments concerning the request for someone, with much more knowledge than I on this matter, to try and make a plan.

I have a further problem with ESpeak in Afrikaans. When I use certain voices it sounds like someone speaking with loose false teeth, at the point of losing them. Maybe the developers can try to solve that problem while they work on the "r".

Regards

Christo from South Africa