Re: NVDA in the workforce and in public institutions

Quentin Christensen

Well, that was basically my question.  If there's something we can do to become a more attractive option to Canadian government departments, then I'd be happy to find out what the requirements may be.  If it's a flat-out no because we are open source, well at least a link clarifying that position would be useful for us to know as well.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 7:25 AM, erik burggraaf <erik@...> wrote:
Well this is interesting.  First it was insurance.  Now it's not insurance, it's procurement.  Top secret procurement which isn't particularly allowed in Canada except for possibly weapons research and development or something like that.  Procurement is public record.  So...  What department did you say she worked in?

Quenton, I'm sure the NVAccess group has the resources and knowhow to become a contractor for the Canadian Government.  It's not usually that hard, though there may be substantial red tape.  I don't believe you would have to present any kind of insurance documentation to sell them software, though you would probably have to wave liability if you were coming in to do training or something.  Insurance is for contractors hired to build new ficilities, install new plumming, electrical, or fire, maintain government vehicals and so on.

Best,

Erik

On November 13, 2017 2:23:01 PM "Mike and Jenna" <schwaltze@...> wrote:

High,

There is no open source int their catalog what so ever. 7zip is rolled in house by their IT department apart from that their policy is no open source. I wish I could post what they policy is but I had to sign an NDA before I could even work on my wife accessibility stuff.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Quentin Christensen Sent: Monday, November 13, 2017 2:37 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Just on the insurance thing in Canada - can anyone point me to a
reference about what it is and what's involved please?

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 9:02 AM, Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io
<the.big.white.shepherd=googlemail.com@groups.io
<mailto:the.big.white.shepherd=googlemail.com@groups.io> > wrote:

nope not seeing this on any of my computers.

On 11/11/2017 05:15, Tyler Wood wrote:

Hi,

I wouldn’t either, however…

The difference in jaws and NVDA moving through explorer windows is so
drastically light and day different on the same computer. Despite what
the processor is doing jaws simply handles it whereas NVDA, by
contrast, is frustratingly slow. It’s especially telling when you use
them side by side.

*From: *Brian Vogel <mailto:britechguy@...
<mailto:britechguy@...> > *Sent: *November 10, 2017 10:19 PM
*To: *nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> > *Subject: *Re:
[nvda] NVDA in the workforce and in public institutions

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 05:57 pm, Tyler Wood wrote:

    I’m talking intel atom, ulv celleron, Pentium.

I would not expect screen readers to be particularly "sprightly" on
any of these processors if what they're running on top of is in any
way processing intensive.

--

                                                  Please reply to the list;
                                                        please *don't* CC me.