From: Bhavya shah [mailto:bhavya.shah125@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, 21 April 2016 1:14 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: AW: Is there seriously a possibility of "DOING AWAY WITH ESPEAK"? [nvda] DOING AWAY WITH ESPEAK

Hi all,
Please let us pause this discussion a bit - let us reflect and appreciate the long way NVDA has steadily traversed through for the past ten years to become what it is today, and to be capable of making the impact that it is making.
Once, we only had Sapi support, progressively ESpeak pre-integrated, and now availability of several commercial high-quality speech synthesizers as well. Let us cherish this diversity and variety that we have now access to for usage with NVDA, and respect the continued contributions that keep coming into NVDA.
Currently, NVDA must use ESpeak, as perhaps, it is the only free and open source text to speech engine viable. In case anyone is aware of others, please do bring it up during the Opener Forum User General Chat session of NVDACon International 2016, and maybe even during the Keynote Q & A section, so Mick and Jamie are enlightened of the same and they can make informed choices and synthesizer changes in NVDA for the future.
For the time being, I would like to sincerely request, as a fellow list member, that we focus on specifics and factual suggestions rather than somewhat abstract requests, implicitly this synth chat.
Thanks.

On 4/21/16, Brian's Mail list account <bglists@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
You can use almost any synth if there isa driver which is for nvda,
and many have these days. Sapi 5 seems to be catered for as does the
microsoft speech platform, an Sapi 4 as well though not so many good voices there.