From: "Ron Canazzi" <aa2vm@roadrunner.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 7:56 AM
Subject: [nvda] Firefox 57 Update: My Analysis

Hi Group,

Well, it's finally here: the much talked about full release of Firefox
57. I opened Firefox shortly after 7:00 AM Eastern Time USA this
morning and got the update Firefox dialogue. I am now running Firefox 57.0.

Here are some of the conditions under which I am running Firefox 57.0
full release.

Windows 10 latest update version 17.09

8 core 64 bit Intel composite machine

12 GB RAM 13.8 GB Virtual memory.

Firefox 32 bit version.

Here is my basic analysis.

I first tried a run of the mill web page--an old still functional local
ISP that offers dial-up service and has low graphics and is not very
cluttered: The Blue Moon Internet System: http://www.bluemoon.net. The
navigation and overall performance was normal--I did not notice anything
different from earlier versions of Firefox.

Being somewhat encouraged, I next visited one of my favorite sites
espn.com and one of its sub pages for NFL articles:
https://espn.com/nfl. This site is fairly cluttered but usually very
simple to navigate. Again, I had no real issues. Navigational keys,
automatic reading and other basics operated normally.

I then got a little bolder. I visited the CNN website:
https://cnn.com. It might have taken a little longer time to load than
normal, but I don't visit that site very often, so I am really not
sure. It seemed relatively normal with perhaps a small lag--2 or 3
seconds maybe. Once the page loaded, I had no real issues. I was able
to click on various section: world, USA, sports, breaking news, ETC. I
chose to read the article about the coup in Zimbabwe--that deposed long
time and ailing President Robert Magobbi. Everything seemed to work
normally.

I then got real brave and visited the Yahoo sports page:
https://sports.yahoo.com. This site hasn't worked very well for years.
The page refreshes quite often--about every 30 seconds to a minute--even
moreso during active sports events. This site also has the habbit of
moving to the search field and activating forms/edit mode with every
page load. All these aspects of this page were evident with Firefox 57,
but they weren't any worse than with earlier versions of Firefox. I
really wish Yahoo would fix these pages. Even using JAWS 17, the
suppress web page refreshes hasn't worked in years and still
doesn't--but I digress.

I then visited various live streaming pages which had accessible
embedded players: Democracy Now: https://democracynow.org and AM 740
Toronto: https://zoomerradio.ca. Both these sites read normally and the
embedded players showed buttons and I could activate, play, pause and
control volumes as normal. There were no significant issues.

Finally, it has been reported that the downloads window does not read in
Firefox 57. I tried downloading a small fie of 11 MB in size from the
file storage site Send Space: https://www.sendspace.com. The download
window showed up normally and I saw the progress as usual. Again, there
was no significant difference from ealrier versions of Firefox.

Conclusion and possible causality:

I see very little difference using Firefox 57 with my current system.
There may be a bit of sluggishness on sum pages, but not very much. The
causes I am going to site are simply educated guesses--nothing more.
You will see that I am using the 32 bit version of Firefox. I believe
there is a 64 bit, but I have lways been warned off from using this
version. I have always used a 32 bit version and had very good
results. Maybe if some people are using the 64 bit version on a 64 bit
system, that could cause issue. In addition, my system is a reasonably
fast system. With 8 core and a lot of RAM and virtual memory, it is a
real speed demon. The system boots in about 25 seconds from a cold
boot. Programs launch rapidly and seldom lock up. Although Gene Asner
might bite me (we've had debates over fast VS slow systems and how they
affect other programs) I am wondering if my fast system mitigates issues
with Firefox sluggishness and bad performance that others are having.
(sorry Gene only kidding!) Again, this is simply an educated guess, but
there must be some intrinsic issue on more than a few systems running
Firefox 57 that are causing all these negative reports that I am
receiving on this and other mailing lists for the blind.

Hopefully, this analysis will induce others to give Firefox 57 a try and
allay some of the fear associated with it's installation.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"