quick navigation keys do not work

This is how it goes, the best I understand it.

I ran a scan today, using Sophos Home. It removed a couple of things that it said were a threat. After this, I can no longer reliably use quick navigation keys to do much of anything, either in Chrome or Firefox. This is with the latest versions of both of these browsers installed. This occurs even with Firefox Nightly.

I can press h for headings, and it might take me to an edit field, or say that this isn't supported in the document, or take me to a button. How would I register again the dll's that pertain to web accessibility? This is the only thing I can think of that would be the issue in both browsers. Would a reinstall of NVDA fix this issue?