Further Analysis Of Firefox 57

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

Because so many people are having problems with Firefox 57/Quantum, I decided to do some experimentation.  I have 2 machines I use for storage and backup.  One system is a Windows 7 64 bit machine with 4 GB RAM and a quad core processor running the 64 bit version of Windows 7.  The other is an old Del computer 32 bit version of Windows 7 with a duel core processor and 4 GB of RAM.

As mentioned previously, my primary Windows 10 high speed 8 core 12 GB RAM system sees little effect from the upgrade.

Here is my analysis of the other 2 older slower machines.  The 64 bit Windows system operates fairly well.  It is a composite/IBM clone system from 2013.  It seems a bit more sluggish than the faster Windows 10 system, but all in all, I can use all the things I usually use such as quick navigation keys, address bar access, recognition of buttons on embedded players and so on.

So now to the older Del from 2011.  This machine experienced significantly more issues.  While it was usable, it was very, very sluggish.  On the ESPN/NFL page, it seemed to take about 1 or more minutes to load this fairly crowded page.  Quick key navigation was very sluggish.  They did work, if you didn't mind waiting 5 or 10 seconds for the system to initiate the keystroke.  I could eventually find the buttons of embedded player, but again, system reaction was extremely sluggish.  In doing this analysis, when I loaded a new crowded page, I waited for a few seconds and when I herd nothing, I press insert + T to read the title bar and after a few seconds, NVDA reported Firefox busy and the title of the previous page that I had been on when I launched the new page via the address bar.  That's how i am sure that the extreme sluggishness was causal.

I wonder how many of the people who are having issues with Firefox 57 are using Del systems or some other lower end system with celluron processors.  I wonder if there's is some sort of idiomatic issue with those slower systems or with some brands of processor or hardware.

This is just an educated guess, but with the analysis of 3 systems, it might be worth something to those more technical.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"