Re: Office: why is it so slow with NVDA?

enes sarıbaş

hi quentin,

I would be willing to help you track down the issue. However, I can't figure out exactly what triggers it iether. Office seems to be generally slow. However, a complex document seems to do it.

I haven't read all the other threads in the group, but can anyone having these issues please go into Office, get it to go sluggish (do you need to do anything?  Does it happen from the moment you open Word / Excel / whatever or does something seem to trigger it?)  Does it happen with small files / blank files or only large files?  And send me a log please?  https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/wiki/LogFilesAndCrashDumps

I appreciate it's really frustrating, but as others have noted, it's not happening for everyone (it's not happening for me, so I need you to tell me what it's doing), so we need to get as much info as possible from those affected.

Simone mentioned it was a big problem for the Italian community - could it be from having multiple languages installed?  Is anyone having the slowdown and they only have English installed?

Also, are there any tickets yet on GitHub? I just had a look and couldn't find any.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 7:17 AM, Devin Prater <r.d.t.prater@...> wrote:
I agree as well. I’ll stick with the Mac until this issue is resolved, either by me downgrading to a 32-bit version of Office, or by NV-Access, or even Microsoft, with Narrator.
Devin Prater
Assistive Technology Instructor in Training
JAWS, Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, and Powerpoint certified by World Services for the Blind

On Nov 20, 2017, at 2:10 PM, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:

I agree on that one.

On 20/11/2017 9:29 p.m., Simone Dal Maso wrote:
Ok, but this is not acceptable, because we can-t say that NVDA is ok with office and when you use it you go into the lag/world.
I don-t know how to justify it, but I think this should be mentioned on main documentation.

Il 20/11/2017 05:05, Devin Prater ha scritto:
Oh, I have a threaded quad core CPU, 1 TB spinning drive, and 8 gigs of ram. But Narrator is slow with Office as well. The only Screen Reader that I know isn’t slow with Office is JAWS, and I’d rather not let the shark take the arm and a leg to buy it.
Devin Prater
Assistive Technology Instructor in Training
JAWS, Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, and Powerpoint certified by World Services for the Blind

On Nov 19, 2017, at 3:28 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io <mailto:bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io>> wrote:

There a number of people who get slowness and a number who do not and this seems to be a bit of a mystery. The only thing I can advise is that you all get involved in the relevant github issues being created and hopefully some sense will emerge by looking at hardware and software involved. My gut feeling is that its the multicore processors that are suffering uneven loadings due to many parts of windows, including nvda being run in a single core and maxing it out. The multi processor issue has always been a problem as obviously many tasks rely on the output from others for their data and hence if  its taking longer things will slow down. Its not just simply a case of lets make nvda 64 bit as we still have the dependent outcome issues.
Brian

bglists@... <mailto:bglists@....uk>
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-