Re: FW: [win10] nvda, and tutorials

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

I just had a look at another screen reader  and i think it would be the same for the second. The first screen reader under the help section had a section called documentation and a sub menu off that for the user manual, readme and training resources.

I have not the other screen reader installed but guess it will be a similar idea.

I as a user would rather be pointed in the right direction for resources etc which makes sense coming from the nvda screen readder its self.

so like under the help section there could be the user manual, maybe the whats new, a link to the training material or the shop as it is called., the guides people have done on the wicki page. Maybe even the FAQ wicki I did also see there was a part there for remote help but in that case they had the application there where we do not.

But you get the idea.

Part of the reason i put in those sections that i linked to my website was to make it easier for others to find the same material where it probably is harder to find at present.

I know where some of it is or most.

I was thinking even a link to the email user lists as well to join.

I guess if it was part of nvda i guess when i look at the numbers of nvda users over 45 thousand max and still going up that is alot of people to point in the right direction if needed.

Gene nz

Hi Gene and everyone,

An FAQ that automatically gets sent to new members on the list with answers to some of these questions is a good idea (if one doesn't exist already, I must admit, I joined awhile ago and can't recall).  Maybe a link to it in the signature?

Re the web site, as many know, we are in a process which has ended up being longer than anticipated, of refreshing the site, or basically rolling out a whole new site, and once that is live or available to preview, I'll be sure to post here to get your feedback on it.

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 12:52 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
This is a long message containing my suggestions for organizing the web site for the benefit of new or not very knowledgeable users.  There may be a little repetition about how to find or get certain information but that may be helpful to those looking.

I haven't looked at the web site to any extent for awhile but the last time I looked, I thought it was poorly organized.  It should be very clear how to get important kinds of information from the home page, including a link to the extra voices page, sihnce, like it or not, the default voice is one of the things many people strongly object to and want to change immediately, a link to a discussion of how to use the built-in Windows Voices so that those who want to do so may do so as soon after installation as possible. a link to some sort of tutorial collection, such as the other Gene's, and a link to an NVDA tutorial such as Joseph Lees, a link to the add ons page, and a link to the support page with the explanation that information about how to join a users' group is available on that page.
There may be other things that should be there but those are the things that come to mind.

I said that these links should be on the home page, but if that is undesirable, there could be something like a link on the home page that says something like information for beginners and, when this link is followed, information such as I've discussed would be in that section.

Also, those switching to NVDA often have a certain number of specific questions that are repeated by a lot of people who are trying NVDA on lists.  It might be a good idea to have one distinct article for beginners with answers to a small number of very common questions such as how do I shut down NVDA, how to I get to the user manual, how do I change the voice and the voice speed and other parameters, and, although I don't recall seeing this asked, where is there a list of keyboard commands.

I would also suggest giving a link to the User Guide online so that those who want to look at it with their old screen-reader may do so and not have to be using NVDA and getting used to it at the same time as looking at the first few sections of the user Guide.

Sent: Monday, November 20, 2017 7:29 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] FW: [win10] nvda, and tutorials

This is one of the complaints often heard about NVDA. More so for folks who want to dip their toes into this screen reader. Better/well organized access to support info such as this would likely make the newbie experience go a whole lot smoother. Not to mention appreciated by everyone as well.