Re: firefox question

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

I am not sure if this is true in every and all cases, but in the overwhelming majority of cases, it is not possible to run a 64 bit software program on a 32 bit machine.  In many cases--take the old JAWS screen reader for example--if you try running 64 bit JAWS on a 32 bit machine, you get an error and the installer exits.

On 11/21/2017 5:39 AM, Clare Page wrote:
Hi!
It's not true that the browser won't work if you don't use the version with the samed bits, so to speak. I have used 32-bit Firefox on this 64-bit Windows 7 computer for a long time and it has worked well. It's possible that 64-bit programs won't work on 32-bit computers, but I can't test that. In the case of Firefox, I've never tried the 64-bit version, partly because I kept updating my 32-bit version to avoid having to do a complete reinstall, partly because some posts on this list have said that 64-bit Firefox doesn't always work as well as 32-bit. I use plenty of other 32-bit programs on this computer which also work fine.
Bye for now!
From Clare
-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Darren Tomblin
Sent: mardi 21 novembre 2017 00:59
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] firefox question

i'm asking because some people have been saying on here that if the bit versions are different the broswer won't work.

On 11/20/2017 6:50 PM, JM Casey wrote:
You have a choice whether you want the 64 or 32 bit version. If you completely remove your copy, there won't be anything to automatically update anyway, so you can just go to Mozilla and download the version of the browser you want.