Re: A few comments on recent threads

To be honest for once I am probably on the side of fs which isn't usual.

Firstly if you use windows media player native formats and don't use a real high quality format the digital noise stream is encoded in the file to, and you hear it.

A lot of radio stations that were in windows media and even low quality real media had this issue, always sounded like an old radio inĀ  a shed with all the digital chatter.

The other thing is that a lot of tutorials especially the first manuals that came online especially if they were the same, for ages and ages were simply transposed from tapes.

Now I know now you can get reasonable recording restoration software but tapes to get your data off especially in those days even if they were good quality tapes would get a lot of hiss and machine noise.

You can fix this some what, but if you try to restore a record and yes I hav tried to cleanup a record with goldwave and really made it where I really made it sound normal all I got was the same digital signal clutter unless in stereo then it wasn't so bad.

Another thing, a lot of tapes were mono, and a lot of the tutorials these days are stereo.

And while a mono sound while a bit crappy in itself is just that, if you don't care the signal never was a real issue.

Make that stereo or even think of converting then you have a problem.

While you can probably split a digital mono signal to stereo, if that was a mono device like a tape to digital, with all the stuff I mentioned about tapes previously, well tapes are just not ideal to record off of unless they are stereo tapes or you just don't care.

I did recordings of tapes not from tape to computer, but actually played the tapes and taped to a digital device via a microphone.

Now I realise that this is or can be a problem if the environment aint right but its probably better if you can do it, Since you are dealing with a digital file hearing the audio from a tape.

And the environment sadly but oh well.

You can't exactly use that for production as such but you could edit a file and do that.

But I was dealing with stereo tape recordings on good tapes and dictaphones.

Its actually worse when you go digital to tape, fine for music but still.

On 22/11/2017 9:34 a.m., JM Casey wrote:
Hi.

Not checked out too many tutorials but I thought I could weigh in.

Yes, wordpad will handle rtfs just fine. But I have to ask: isn't html all-round the best format for these sorts of things? You can't put links in a text file, and html is pretty much cross-platform, so as long as someone has some sort of browser or viewer, they should not only be able to read the file, but effectively use a table of contents as well.

I don't have much of an opinion on audio. I know a lot of people like them but personally I would much rather just read something. But yes, I'd think a well-recorded file, converted to mp3, would be best for most people. You could keep the bit-rate down pretty low so long as the actual recording was of a decent quality (minimum ambient noise, etc). Even the rather expensive training materials from Freedom Scientific, when I reviewed them for my old work, were full of artifacts and crap that made them irritating to listen to. I know some people could do better, but, again, I highly prefer a simple html document containing text.