Re: NVDA will not start

Quentin Christensen

Hi everyone,

This thread has gone on a couple of tangents, but just to pick up on the original poster's issue, with NVDA not starting, you can press NVDA+control+r three times quickly to reset NVDA to factory defaults.  (And still, every time I write that, I really want to add that you have to press those keys while saying "there's no place like home!" but I think you only need to do that in the limited edition "Oz" version of NVDA).

On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 7:36 AM, David <trailerdavid@...> wrote:
Sure, NVDA has come a long way. I started using it as a backup screen
reader several years ago. Considering what it can perform today, I do
agree it starts to come up on the side of the paid-for products.

As to your question of why it is, that people seem to think other screen
readers are superior, I do hold there should be a few reasons. One thing
is what they are being informed. The other is what they think, as one of
the listers already pointed out.

Still, NVDA will be but one out of the nearly ten screen readers I have
been in touch with, up through the years. I am still running Window-Eyes
as my main reader, and have started learning Jaws. Reason? NVDA simply
won't do in all the activity I am doing on the computer. It fails in
some of the programs I have running.

NVDA is a great product. It has saved me out of numerous situations,
when WinEyes locked up. It is fast, light on resources, and it is free
and hence available for all. Yet it has its drawbacks. Might i just
remind you of the discussion going on the very last days, about its
slowness and lacks in Office?

Point in summary: NVDA is a good alternative, and might be the right
thing for all users, who are using their computer for simple daily
activity. For a number of users, it will not be sufficient as a
only-kid-on-the-block product, but will serve as a perfect backup screen
reader, at moments when the main reader fails. And, for an indefinite
number of users, it simply will never get well enough, due to their
high-end computer usage.

Claiming that one screen reader is "the best", is never a good idea.
Till date, after more than thirty years of computer usage, I have yet
not seen the screen reader that would be fully superior in all cases. If
NVDA meets your requirements, expectations and needs, congratulations;
you are the winner. Others will have all good reasons to claim it does
not, and they will have choices in the market.

In additon, people might be operating in environments - like workplaces
- where they will have no choice, but to go for high-end screen readers.
Does your employer demand a certain software being used in their domain,
and this software takes high-end approaches in computer resources, NVDA
might not even be able to get to the info that will be needed.

To be even a bit more technical about the matter, NVDA can have add-ons
written to it, so as to get it more sufficed with a given software. Far
as I can understand, NVDA add-ons will have to be written in Python, and
not even the newest version of that language either. For your
comparison, WinEyes had scripting capabilities, that would allow the
developer of add-ons to be written in a long number of programming
languages. It even could combine blocks of coding, from different
languages. This would ensure a couple of things.

First of all, the developer could build his code on a platform familiar
to him. He was not forced to use one particular coding. In effect, you
would have more people available for programming, since you could have
people from all camps.

Secondly, if a developer needed a certain feature, or performance, he
could choose to yuse the programming language, that would give the
smoothest coding. We did see certain add-ons, written partially in
Python, and partially in VBScript. Some developers used AutoHotkey to do
parts of the add-on operation, since it gave the best performance,
lightest code, and widest set of features.

Now, why all that chatter about WinEyes and its scripting capacity?
After all, WinEyes is per definition dropped and gone for good. Well,
just to show you that one screen reader might be the better choice in
certain situations, while another screen reader will have the better
performance in other scenarios. Jaws, for one thing, has long time had a
far better pronunciation Dictionary built-in, than what was the case
with WinEyes. Still, I can openly admit, there are a handful of WinEyes
features -built-in and Add-Ons - that I will greatly miss, as none of
the other screen readers have been able to show up equal features.

Finally, may I take the opportunity to thank the developers of NVDA, for
all their endeavors. NVDA is a great product, that comes in handy quite
often. And as it continues to grow, chances are that it will become far
more full-fledged, as time and development moves on.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess