From: <fredm73@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 3:49 PM
Subject: [nvda] Please help a Chess program developer

I am the author of a free chess playing program, ChessSpeak. I have a YouTube video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NXo8GzIORQ ) and a Users' Guide ( https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IIazPm57vNei4w51fnxBpUzSRnuL58ncBn3xXhSCEik ) . This program allows for speech input from the player and replies with voice output. It has been used by many players over the past few years.

I wrote the program so that a sighted person could play with a regular chessboard, across the room from the computer, without using the mouse or keyboard (although it is not entirely hands free). I did not intend this application for blind people, but have discovered there is interest in the blind community. ChessSpeak was developed without my awareness of NVDA. One user told me he is using NVDA and that led me to this group.

How can I make ChessSpeak more friendly to blind people? What are some very general, and then some specific guidelines? I have read the Developers' Guide ( https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/documentation/developerGuide.html ) and understand it in a general way, although my Python skills are not strong.

If anyone could offer me specific suggestions or help for my application I would appreciated it. If anyone wants to develop the NVDA linkage to ChessSpeak that would be wonderful.