Re: OT: selecting a new laptop is more difficult than before

Rui Fontes

Hello!

1 - Don't choose anything else than SSD devices. They are much more fast than any other!

2 - For processor, it depends a lot when you want to replace it and how much you want to spend...

If you want to spend only a few hundresd dollars, maximum 400 USD, you and replace it in 2a 3 years, you are well with a processor like Intel(R) Core(TM) m3-7Y30 CPU, like my hybrid laptop have along with 4Gb of RAM.

# of Cores
2
# of Threads
4
Processor Base Frequency
1.00 GHz
Max Turbo Frequency
2.60 GHz
Cache
4 MB SmartCache

3 - If you don't want to change laptop so soon, you must choose a better processor, like I3 or I5, at least 8Gb of RAM and nothing else than a SSD device!

Regards,

Rui

Às 17:22 de 30/11/2017, Tyler Wood escreveu:

This summarizes exactly how I feel today.

I shouldn’t need a crazy fast machine. However, when I’m on a machine with a mechanical hard drive or slower processor, I can tell the difference the second I start using it. It still functions, but my general assumptions get in the way. I get impatient. Come on, move already!

This is why I went overboard in my new desktop, which should arrive in December. Dell xps 8930 with a core i7 processor. I may not need it, but with the advancements in computer technology and how screen readers are, instead of becoming lighter on processor usage, are seemingly more dependant on them, I figure I should get as much power as I can while I can. My thoughts are a core i3 processor, 8 gb of ram and a decent solid state drive should get you where you want to go. The problem is when you want more than a 128 gb drive. You have to pay for the i5 or i7 processor, thus making the machine even more expensive. Also, in 5 years, that i3 may be ancient history. It seems things are taking off at breakneck speed rather than slowing down as far as advancing goes. Soon all applications are going to be multithreaded if they’re not already and you want as many threads as you can squeeze out of it in the future. Dual core with hyperthreading just isn’t going to cut it in even 4 years – and if it does, it’s going to be on the edge of it. Maybe this is just my paranoia talking, but you never know.