Re: NVDA 2017.4rc3 released #nvdasr

Quentin Christensen

NVDA has several groups of pre-release versions, all publicly available here: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/snapshots/

"Next" builds are "alpha" quality - new code gets added to these, which may or may not work and may or may not ever make it to a stable version.

"Master" are "Beta" quality - once something has been in Next for a couple of weeks and hasn't caused any issues, and it is felt it should be considered for the next stable release of NVDA, then it goes into Master.

"Release Candidate" or "RC" builds and the final versions before the next stable release.  Essentially, once we release an RC build, if we don't find any major issues with it, then the stable version will be released a week or so later, which will be identical to that RC build, except for dropping the "rc" part from the version number.  If we do find an issue, then we'll fix it one way or another  and release a new RC build to ensure that everything is working.

That snapshots page is always available and updated daily as new builds are compiled (new Next builds might come out one or even several times a day, Master usually every few days, and RC builds only just before a new stable release is due - every three months).  So essentially they are all public betas, it's just that we publicise the RC builds more, to get more people to try them to hopefully pick up any big issues before the final version.

Regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 7:47 AM, Kevin Huber <kevin.huber1@...> wrote:
Hi:

So what is the difference between a release candidate and a public betqa?
Kevin Huber

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager