Re: OT: selecting a new laptop is more difficult than before

Antony Stone

I would be very interested if you could post some links to the information
about SSDs becoming unwriteable.

Regarding defragmenting an SSD - there is absolutely no point.

The whole purpose of defragmenting a traditional spinning hard disk was to get
all the parts of a single file together, instead of being spread (fragmented)
across the drive, which happens when small files are deleted and then larger
ones are written into the gaps afterwards. Having the entire file together in
one place is much more efficient for reading it later than having it spread
around the disk (because it takes time for the mechanical heads to go and find
all the different parts).

With an SSD, accessing one part is just as efficient as any other - nothing
needs to move to get to the next part, so fragmented files are no less efficient
to read than complete ones.

Antony.

On Sunday 03 December 2017 at 11:35:19, The Gamages wrote:

Hello,
Regarding SSDs, as I understand it, there is a slight issue with these in
that some memory can become un writable, it can still be read, but nothing
further can be writtten into it.
I realise that this can take a long time to happen and, if the drive is a
large capacity, it may never be an issue.
I am only raising this point because I don’t fully understand the
consequences of this.
I was told by a computer engineer that it is not a good idea to de fragment
a solid state drive for this reason, it can make some memory un writable if
it is done regularly and is not really necessary on this sort of drive.

Comments please, even if you shoot me down in flames,[smile]..

Best Regards, Jim.