Re: OT: selecting a new laptop is more difficult than before

enes sarıbaş

hi,

I respectfully disagree. The speed difference from an ssd is so massive that, even with very simplistic daily tasks, getting an ssd can be a massive time saver. I agree that anyone who can aford it should get an ssd.

On 12/3/2017 5:48 PM, Gene wrote:
At some point, perhaps as early as Windows 7, Windows won't even let you defragment SSD drives, as I recall.

On another subject related to SSD drives, I consider sweeping statements such as, these days, everyone should have SSD drives to be far too prescriptive and overgeneral.  If you do things where speed matters, copying lots of large files, converting lots of large files, doing a lot of recording of long works and exporting the recording to a compressed format such as MP3, and other uses I haven't though of while at the moment, then it would make sense.  but if you mainly do things like word processing, web browsing, and other typical uses, I don't consider it important.  there are some people who just want everything to be very fast, they don't want programs to take one or two seconds to open, they want a program to open almost instantly.  If they want to spend the money for emotional satisfaction and indulgence, fine, but not everyone wants or needs hotrods, whetgher in computers, cars, or anywhere else.

There may be another time when having an SSD drive might be important, others may wish to comment.  If you have a laptop, and are going to use it under conditions where it will be jostled and jolted somewhat severely or severely while in use, such as driving over rather rough or very rough roads, then I would think an SSD would be a good idea or  important.

Sent: Sunday, December 03, 2017 4:42 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] OT: selecting a new laptop is more difficult than before

I would be very interested if you could post some links to the information
about SSDs becoming unwriteable.

Regarding defragmenting an SSD - there is absolutely no point.

The whole purpose of defragmenting a traditional spinning hard disk was to get
all the parts of a single file together, instead of being spread (fragmented)
across the drive, which happens when small files are deleted and then larger
ones are written into the gaps afterwards.  Having the entire file together in
one place is much more efficient for reading it later than having it spread
around the disk (because it takes time for the mechanical heads to go and find
all the different parts).

With an SSD, accessing one part is just as efficient as any other - nothing
needs to move to get to the next part, so fragmented files are no less efficient
to read than complete ones.

Antony.

--
"In fact I wanted to be John Cleese and it took me some time to realise that
the job was already taken."

 - Douglas Adams

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.