Re: links on single line

Clare Page <clare.page@...>

Hi!

I always keep Preserve Screen layout on, not because I have sighted people looking at my screen, but because I don’t see any need to move between links with up and down arrows, when that can easily be done with the Tab key or the quick navigation keys k and shift+k, or even using links in the  elements list.

Throughout my ten years of using JAWS there was no choice in the matter, there was no toggle, but with NVDA I’m glad we have a choice, between what seems to me to be a more accurate view of the website and one which is simply there because other screenreaders have it, so many blind people feel it is normal or convenient.

It’s possible that my view is a minority one in the blind community, but maybe I’m not the only one who finds nothing wrong with preserving screen layout in web browsers. That’s why I like the toggle in NVDA: those who want to arrow through links still have that option, but we’re not stuck with one or the other;

Bye for now!

From Clare

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mary Otten
Sent: jeudi 7 décembre 2017 01:50
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] links on single line

This brings up the question of why preserving screen layout is a good idea. I mean, maybe that has to do with working with sighted colleagues? But if that's the only reason, then I'm definitely turning it off as of little to no use.

Mary

On 12/6/2017 4:43 PM, Gene wrote:

Just one more example of why having links read each link on a separate line should be the default, as I said two or three days ago.  The feature is in browse mode settings.  It's a check box that says use screen layout, if supported.  Uncheck this box and activate the ok button.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 6:25 PM

Subject: [nvda] links on single line

I am running NVDA 2017-4 on a Win 10 64 bit machine.  I have a web site
where there are multiple links on a single line thus NVDA reads them
together.  If my memory is right there is a way to get NVDA to read this
multi link lines as if each link was separate.  Looked everywhere but
can't find it.
Thanks a

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.