Re: IMPORTANT COMMUNITY DIRECTIVE: to use NVDA 2017.4, Windows 7 SP1 or later is absolutely required

Ron Canazzi

I wonder if those who have such systems have pirate copies of Windows and have turned off auto update.

On 12/7/2017 4:58 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Could I ask how people could end up without sp1, as I seem to recall from friends that this update some years back now was pushed automatically to existing systems and its not just nvda which relies on it either.

Also now, how would a user get it and install it, is it relatively simple on the Microsoft site or would you suggest going the whole way and going to 10 before 31st Dec while a free update is there. I'm assuming that the old version of 7 will still allow the update.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 6:18 PM
Subject: [nvda] IMPORTANT COMMUNITY DIRECTIVE: to use NVDA 2017.4, Windows 7 SP1 or later is absolutely required

Dear NVDA community,

It was brought to developers' attention that some people were having issues
upgrading to NVDA 2017.4, and turns out some were using Windows 7 RTM build.
Thus the following community directive:

In order to use NVDA 2017.4 or later, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or later is
ABSOLUTELY required.

To find out which Windows release you've got:

1. Press Windows key to open Start menu.
2. Type "winver" without quotes and press Enter.
3. Check the build shown on About Windows dialog.

If the build number is 7601 or higher, you're all set. If it is lower than
that:

* If using Windows 7 RTM (build number is 7600), please use NVDA
2017.3, upgrade to Windows 7 SP1 first, then update to NVDA 2017.4.
* If using versions other than 7 (build number is less than 7600),
then NVDA 2017.3 is the last supported version for you.

In the next few weeks, some add-on authors will announce minimum supported
versions of NVDA and Windows. For example, if you are using StationPlaylist
Studio add-on, starting from version 17.12 stable, Windows 7 SP1 or higher
is absolutely required.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph