Re: Navigating Text since NVDA 2017.3

Ann Byrne

what is the fix?????

At 07:57 PM 12/6/2017, you wrote:
Hi,
Actually, Tyler did all the tracking down, I simply put it out here for people to understand what was going on. I still don’t quite understand the magnitude of the issue myself. I noticed the issue, Tyler told me what it was and how to change it, I changed it and verified that it worked, I “publishedâ€, if you will, the results.
Cheers.
Damien.

From: <mailto:quentin@nvaccess.org>Quentin Christensen
Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2017 1:27 AM
To: <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Navigating Text since NVDA 2017.3

Damien,

Well tracked down :)

Quentin.

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 11:30 AM, Damien Sykes <<mailto:damien@dcpendleton.plus.com>damien@dcpendleton.plus.com> wrote:
Hi guys,
For anyone like me who has noticed the text lag and wonders why. The following came from Tyler Spivey, who helped me resolve this strange conundrum.
It actually appears that NVDA has always had some reason or other to have to wait a predetermined amount of time for the cursor to move in order to read whatever new information is under the cursor, or to inform of highlighted text, or if no change has occurred, to state the fact that we are at the beginning or end of the field. Until 2017.3, this was 30 milliseconds, a time so short that you would hardly notice it.

An entry in the change log for 2017.3 reads:
• In editable text, when moving the caret (e.g. with the cuursor keys or backspace), NVDA's spoken feedback is now more accurate in many cases, particularly in Chrome and terminal applications.

In fact, one of the ways this seems to have been resolved was to increase the cursor wait time from 30 to 100 milliseconds, which may not seem much but is in fact a 230% increase. This means that people who are well tuned in to how NVDA read data previously, and perhaps more importantly rely on speed, will notice this change.
This is all apparently covered on GitHub, which, as far as I’m concerned isn’t really a user-friendly platform (that’s to say it’s meant for developers, and expert ones at that, which means you’re going to see a lot of technical jargon). Some may argue that this issue is a very fine line between a development technicality and usability, and since I seem to have been the only one who cared or even noticed this, I’m inclined to agree. But at least it’s out there now.
So, to summarise:
1. This is actually intended behaviour.
2. You can change it, but you have to know how and where it’s stored. It’s not in the configuration dialogs. Some may not even find it worth the effort – I only did because it ground straight through my sensitive teeth and pounded through my skull.
3. If you change it, be aware that you may not get the improved accuracy stated in the change log entry quoted above.
Cheers.
Damien.

--
Quentin Christensen