Re: Design Help, Please

hello.
if you want to make available your files for blind users, the best
format for us is html only.
i myself, save any page that i love, in html only format for three reasons.
first, avoiding images and crowdering of my system because of the
image that i cant see, second, for having only one file, but html
complete is a folder not one single file!
but users of windows ten can use builtin ocr images included in windows ten,
and other can use addon for recognizing images from texts.
if you want to preserve images for blinds, i think its best to provide
discription for them.
hope that can help you, God bless you!

On 12/7/17, tonea.ctr.morrow@... <tonea.ctr.morrow@...> wrote:
Hello,

I'm in the United States, Central time, so it just turned 8 a.m. I'll be
available until 3 p.m.

My problem is this, I design help files that accompany software. I want to
make sure what I design is readable to screen readers.

Having no sensory input problems, I designed the help system for such as
myself. Many pages of the help system have a copy of the home screen at the
top. It has hot hyperlinks over the image. Thus the viewer can see a typical
home screen and select the text or button with which they want help. This
enables them to quickly jump to that help page.

Now I'm going back and making these things friendly to screen readers. I
know they read alt text, which means I need to break apart the image and
reassemble it so each text area (which has a hyperlink on top) has its own
alt text.

Not knowing how screen readers work, is that the best method? I need
something that will work with the most common screen readers. If they read
hyperlink text, does breaking the image apart just create more reading? Am I
cluttering the audible page with this approach? Or, should I have my
hyperlinks have their own tooltips? The maker of the software I use, Help
and Manual, has made the offer:

Begin Quote: It's important to remember that every graphic can only have one
tooltip. You can add additional tooltips with hotspot links, but they
currently only have the tip in a title= attribute, not in an alt= attribute
(let us know if screen readers need that as well and we'll add it). However,
if you add hotspot tooltips the hotspots are not really part of the image.
They are in a special "image map" that positions their clickable areas over
the image. If you are going to use hotspots to implement multiple tooltips
in a single graphic it would be important to test it out with current screen
readers first to see how they handle them -- they would need to read the
image maps in the "correct" order and respond accordingly.

--Tim Green, Monday, November 27, 2017, 5:29 p.m. End Quote

So, H&M is willing to add alt=attribute support, if it will help the screen
readers process an image map better than a tiled image.

I thought I'd ask experts, since I don't know. What do you think?

Tonea Morrow

Tonea Morrow

Technical Writer
MCSG/SAIC | Desk: 405-954-7152
MMAC: Base Maintenance Building 15
Enterprise Services Center (ESC)
6500 S. MacArthur Blvd, OKC, OK 73169
tonea.ctr.morrow@... | www.esc.gov

Availability (appointments outside these)
Mo

7a - 5 p

If I take a lunch, I'll be here later. If I take a kid to a doctor, I'll be
here later on Friday.

Tu

7:30 a - 3:30p

We