Re: Some misstakes in new rc NVDA version

Sharni-Lee Ward

I never understood how you could set it so that it would say sentences
with different accents on the fly. How ... would it know ... which
sentences ... were written... by Americans ...????

I wouldn't go so far as to say "Go back to 2016.1". I actually liked
some of the espeak-NG improvements and it's only the latest version that
mangled things that shouldn't have been mangled. They did change the
pronunciations of "also" "because" and "muse" in a nice way, or at least
in a way that I know is more natural and that I could adjust to. It's
things like "for the" and "for a" and "percent" and the emphasis on the
i in words like "possible" and "necessarily" that annoy me, because
those words/phrases were all pronounced correctly as recently as 2017.3.
There are a couple teeny things that aren't in the version of espeak in
the Speech Player in Espeak addon that I miss from Espeak-NG. I hope
that the people now working on this synth will find what was changed to
effect these particular words and put the code back the way it was.

On 8/12/2017 2:42 PM, zahra wrote:
hi quentin again.
thanks extremely for your attention and your kind attitude towards me.
yes, the old espeak was very great in many cases, and many times i
wished that i use nvda 2016.1 without update forever to avoide
problems of espeak ng.
i love advantages of usual espeak with one feature of speech player in
espeak addon, because we can select to hear american sentences with US
accent!
but in old espeak, we did not have this freedom of selection between
UK and US accent and this feature, is the only advantage of espeak ng!
hope that my explanation be clear for you and i wish that you help me
in this regard!
for me who dont use addons, i wished that i had all these advantages
with espeak included in nvda and what do you think about returning to
nvda 2016.1 to avoide these issues?
God bless you and his infinite mercy i pray for you always!

On 12/8/17, Robert Mendoza <lowvisiontek@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, quentin,

Thanks for diligent for responding and giving heads up into this matter.
However, I am thinking if we could be switch back to an old eSpeak
rather I am only suggesting what's best instead of making changes or
update on our synthesis. in this way could fix or resolve the issue
cause I am afraid to update and installed again for not letting our
setup will be messed up. For me, it is more feasible to use the old
eSpeak instead. For the meantime, I am just using my portable copy of
the old nvda into my flash drive which happened works well to do my
task. I am bit concern here cause some of us is heavily reliable with
use of nvda as their screen reader into our machine. Apologize for
making this possible suggestion here.

Robert Mendoza

Dear Zahra,

Yes, there seem to be problems with a number of languages with eSpeak
NG at the moment.  Part of the problem for us is that we've been
upgrading the version of eSpeak NG we use to try and overcome other
problems.  So clearly we haven't found the best setup yet...

Actually I just had a bit of a browse, for those who liked the old
eSpeak, you can download a version of eSpeak (not NG) compiled as a
SAPI 5 voice here: http://espeak.sourceforge.net/download.html

I wonder if that is worth looking at for those experiencing problems
with the current eSpeak NG tts?

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 4:23 AM, zahra <nasrinkhaksar3@gmail.com
<mailto:nasrinkhaksar3@gmail.com>> wrote:

hi quentin,

may i request the problem hear?
iranian people reported problem with espeak ng new version.
they told that espeak voice became more robatic and unpleasant and
also many words which spoked previously correctly, now espeak ng says
them wrong!
we put punctuation level none and nvda speaks some of them!
even we cant select to use farsi with english US or english Uk!
hope that someone help the iranian users of new espeak ng too.
God bless you all!

<bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io

<mailto:espeak-ng%2Bsubscribe@groups.io>