Re: IMPORTANT COMMUNITY DIRECTIVE: to use NVDA 2017.4, Windows 7 SP1 or later is absolutely required

thanks so much for your ood prespective and positive attitude for the future.
i realy was worried for the future technology and did not know what
happen and i was realy afraid of losing my favorite one.
God bless you for your help!

On 12/8/17, tonea.ctr.morrow@faa.gov <tonea.ctr.morrow@faa.gov> wrote:
Just as there are people who love to tweak cars, there will always be people
who love to tweak computers. You can't do that with a proprietary system
like an apple cell phone. I do not see desktop computers going away.

Someone may invent a more portable braille system to use with small devices,
like cell phones. Or, the advancements in integrating technology into the
brain may dramatically improve. But, as a sighted person, I can tell you
that size is an aspect of fashion. Glasses were large in the 80's but thin
and narrow in 2000's. They are getting larger again. Cars have seen
"fashionable" sizes.

Desktop computers are still around only because they can crunch numbers much
better than smaller systems and they support much larger screens. 15-30 year
olds love video games and generally have the most disposable income. The
better the graphics, the happier they are. Quite a few games are being
developed with high graphics for desktop systems and then seeing enough
popularity that they get exported to gaming systems like Xbox and
Playstation. Unfortunately, this seems to (in my experience) cause the text
to be much too small. I have to move my chair closer to the TV to play those
games.

My daughter is looking to go to college to study art and animation. If I had
the money, I would buy her one of those really big touch-screen systems, the
ones that are more like an architect's desk than a computer. There was one
on display in the mall and she was great with it. As her mom, I want to
empower her to have her best future. But, reality is that I have to make a
car payment. My point is, there are many reasons that big computers won't go
away for sighted people. Which means your options won't go away either. Not
when the U.S. Access board requires more and more accessibility be built in.
Add in that other countries are doing the same, and I think your future
options look reasonably good.

Tonea Morrow