New Development Question

tonea.ctr.morrow@...

When I create help files, they are in three formats:

1.       Online system, whether html (web help), chm (single-file html), or exe (stand-alone help).

2.       Color PDF for download and computer viewing.

3.       Black and White PDF for download and printing.

So I need some help understanding how things are read by your screen reader.

I have a table of contents for graphics. Visual people can often recognize a picture faster than a word, so in addition to the traditional text of headings and subheadings, this separate table of contents provides persons whose native language is not English a means of finding the help they are seeking by letting them look pictorially.

Right now, I have a table of two columns. A picture is in each cell of the left column and the page for reference is in the right column. The pictures have labels, so I know they will be readable by screen readers. What I don’t know is how the reader approaches a table. Does it read whole row before going to the next row? Or does it read the whole column before going to the next column? Or, am I ignorant in how each of you has control to say how a table is read? I’ve already learned that you “see” websites differently than sighted persons because you have different modes on the readers.

I realize that you may not be interested in a table of contents for graphics, but this question will help anytime I have to make a table.

Thanks for your understanding,

Tonea Morrow