From: "Adriani Botez" <adriani.botez@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, December 08, 2017 4:45 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Future of Access

Nv access should definitely keep an eye on this trend.

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 08.12.2017 um 17:43 schrieb Brian Moore <bmoore@screenreview.org>:

I actually thought this was on hold again! It would be nice because the new rules refer to WCAG 2.0 for web accessibility stuff which is what we in the rest of the world are using.

Many countries have similar regulations but more and more, with a couple of exceptions, WCAG is the standard refered to by most countries.

anyway, this discussion is straying out of NVDA territory so it should likely end here.

sorry, when you work in it for a living, this stuff is actually exciting!

Brian.

Contact me on skype: brian.moore
follow me on twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/bmoore123

On 12/08/2017 11:26 AM, tonea.ctr.morrow@faa.gov wrote:
I'm sure you already have heard, but just in case you haven't, the U.S. laws regarding software and website access are generally called 508 and were put in place about 2000. As of January 18th, a refresh of 508 goes into effect.

The official name for the refresh is 36 CFR 1194 and it has many parts. Sections 1 to 5 (they use roman numerals) are details on how the refresh was accomplished and the conclusions determined. Any Americans might want to read that so you can get an idea of how you can become involved in future updates of 508. The actual changes to the code are the appendices. Appendix D is the old code (currently in effect) that will be kept for anything "grandfathered". Appendix A contains the Chapters 1 and 2 of the new code 508. Appendix B contains the Chapters 1 and 2 of the new code 255 (hardware). And, Appendix C contains Chapters 3 to 7 of the code and will apply to both 508 and 255.

This link will take you to the U.S. Access Board website where the whole thing is posted for public viewing:
https://www.access-board.gov/guidelines-and-standards/communications-and-it/about-the-ict-refresh/final-rule/i-executive-summary

It defaults to section I of 36 CFR 1194, but you can use any of the links to jump to the portion of the code that you want.

Tonea Morrow