From: Joseph Lee
Sent: Saturday, December 09, 2017 9:53 AM
Subject: [nvda] Request for comments: Should I record 2018 edition of Welcome to NVDA tutorials set?

Dear global NVDA community,

After reading recent threads on various NVDA lists and looking at some tweets, I find myself asking if I should do it again: record the 2018 edition of the popular “Welcome to NVDA” tutorials set. The thing is, there are more superb tutorials out now, including NV Access’s own Basic Training module. I do understand that many folks have come to know NVDA through my tutorials and some tutorials used mine as a reference or a guide.

For reference, the 2015 edition of this tutorials set can be found at:

http://www.josephsl.net/tutorials

If the community says I should record the 2018 edition, it’ll be done with some conditions:

  • The tutorial will be based on a combination of 2017.4 and latest snapshot features.
  • I’ll be using Windows 10 Version 1709 (Fall Creators Update).
  • I will not ask for payment for this set; if you insist on paying me, I’d rather ask you to donate to NV Access.
  • If possible, I’ll come up with a text transcript and a way for folks to provide edits via pull requests on GitHub.
  • I’ll be moving away from Internet Explorer for browse mode demonstrations, opting for Firefox and Microsoft Edge.

Below is a list of changes between 2015 and 2018 editions provided you say I should do it:

  • I’ll be using Windows OneCore voices for most speech demos.
  • Chapter 1 (Intro) will be expanded and re-recorded to improve recording quality, as well as adding additional information such as command line switches to start a portable copy after creating one and a note on Controlled Folder Access.
  • Chapter 2 (Basics) will go over more touchscreen possibilities, some command changes (including copying the contents of status bars) and others.
  • Chapter 3 (Objects and object navigation) will feature new examples, especially more universal app examples.
  • Chapter 4 (Browsing the web) will feature reading PDF documents with Microsoft Edge, turning off single letter navigation commands on the fly and elements list improvements.
  • Chapter 5 (Apps) will feature new and updated examples.
  • Chapters 6 and 7 (Configuration) will feature new settings, including Windows 10 OCR and many others.
  • Chapter 8 (tools) will feature content recognition.
  • Chapter 9 (Add-ons) will feature new and updated examples, including Remote Support add-on.
  • Addenda may include a word on ARM64 support, development snapshots and what not.

Comments are appreciated.

Cheers,

Joseph