Re: safe mode

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

Below will be roughly what goes up to the web page. at present i can not upload and saying the server is temporally available error 502

So until it is fixed or sorted i can not post to the website.

I will let others know when the other stuf goes up if not already there.

It just means no body can access the site.

Do you reckon it sounds alright?

How to access safe mode in Windows and exit it with the NVDA screen reader

by Hareth  and co

What is safe mode?

Safe mode is a troubleshooting option for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started. Safe mode is useful for troubleshooting problems with programs and drivers that might not start correctly or that might prevent Windows from starting correctly.

To use NVDA in safe mode

You will need to install a registry patch first. This file can be found at https://www.dropbox.com/s/jr72u3sk7p0za2r/Activate_Sound_in_Win10_Safe_Mode.zip?dl=0

After it has been installed it will allow you to use NVDA in safe mode. This has been tested on a Windows 7 and Windows 10 machine and with quite a few different sound cards.

Directions to go into and out of safe mode in Windows

You can reboot in to safe mode by doing the following:

Press Windows plus R and type msconfig and hit Enter

Press Ctrl plus Tab to get to the "boot tab"

Tab to "safe boot" and check the check mark/check box.

Tab to "base video" and check it as well.

Tab to the OK button and press it. You should get a prompt to restart the

computer to apply the changes.

If you select "restart now" your PC should restart into safe mode.

Please note: When the registry patch has been installed, when you go into safe mode,  you will have sound and be able to use the NVDA screen reader.

Message you will get while in safe mode

To confirm you are in safe mode, you can use the NVDA key + letter B. Below is the type of message you will get as an example on a Windows 10 machine.

Safe Mode Microsoft (R) Windows (R) (Build 16299.rs3_release.170928-1534) Safe Mode

After finishing your PC job with safe mode, do the same steps above,

but this time uncheck the two check boxes above for both safe boot, and

base video;  and press OK and restart. Your PC will restart to the normal mode.

On 12/11/2017 11:13 AM, Hareth wrote:
I my self tested it with multiple win7 PC's plus the win10 testing,
and quite few others that I know.
Just win8X is missing the confirmed test.
I believe for the best to put a notice
 telling people to give it a try when they have a sighted company
around to make sure 100% it works for their PC , before  they really
need to preform a task on it when problems  happens with it.
My last name is "Al-hamdany" but you can leave it with the 1st only.
and it is a co thing after all. I just mixed the reg
 code with the way to restart I was using sense I was sighted PC user
cause its faster to reboot than power of the computer and wait for it
to save stuff and sometimes it jams with something. Plus the standard
boot to the startup menu list is nut accessible
Anyway it served me big time with fixes I, I would never been able to
do without it.

Thanks again

On 12/11/17, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:
Hi Hareth

I will add your name to it near the heading of the tutorial. I only have
your first name so just add that or add a last name if you give it to me or
i might just leave it off.

not sure but might put and co? as i do not really want to put my name  as in
the extra bits.

it will go up in the next 12 hours and I will be leaving a copy in the drop
box account to link to for the file.

If i know it will also work on 7,8 etc i will mention that when i get some
more feed back.

Gene nz

On 12/11/2017 9:52 AM, Hareth wrote:

Of course, you can add what ever makes it better to use.
I've tested it with win10 the last 3 editions, and windows7 as well.
I'd assume it should work just fine for win8 or 8.1.
Sure it would be  better if anyone gives it a spin with those 2
untested win editions.
the initial dropbox link I've posted still working I didn't remove the
file, but for the best if the file stored on a permanent storage  with
a linked URL.
It would be an honor to have my name posted on your website, at  the
same time It won't bother me at all if you didn't, so do as you like.
Again all your work is greatly appreciated.
Best

On 12/10/17, Gene New Zealand
<hurrikennyandopo@...><mailto:hurrikennyandopo@...>
wrote:

Hi Hareth

if you do not mind I might add a little to it but the content will pretty
much be the same.

The extra 2 parts will be a little about safe mode and why you would go
into
it.

the second part will be to confirm you are in safe mode and what type of
message you will get.

There will also be a drop box link for the file to get it that i have here
and used.

I only tested it with a windows 10 machine do you know if it would say work
for a windows 8 or 7 machine? I do not have any here to test with as i
could
note that on the page.

Just in case people ask questions or want to know if it works with there
sound cards as well.

I am guessing it will.

Do you want your name mentioned? on the tutorial or left off?

I will be uploading some material tonight and this tutorial will be part of
it. I will then let the community know.

Gene nz

On 12/11/2017 12:02 AM, Hareth wrote:

Hi Gene,
Sure I did say yes, feel free to post that or any of my posts in the
future.
I do appreciate your time and effort to help the community.
And for David, Thanks a lot for the kind words, greatly appreciate it.
All the best

--
[Image NVDA          certified expert]
material

--
[Image NVDA          certified expert]
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material