From: "Brian Vogel" <britechguy@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2016 5:26 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Fillable PDF Forms & NVDA

Well, additional developments that some may find interesting. I downloaded the tax year 2015 (as in should have been filed on April 18th 2016) version of the 1040EZ and I still get the same result in Adobe Reader DC.

So, I decided to try a form that I'd customized in Microsoft Word for a client about a year and a half ago where every blessed field (or at least the ones I set up in the demo form - I didn't complete the myriad checkboxes that the paper version contains) has alternate text and help text. If I open this in Word and have NVDA running it does precisely what I think it should do: Announces the alternate text when I land in the form field and, if I hit F1, displays the help text box and reads its contents.

I have to believe that either the IRS forms are not set up correctly to be accessible or else there's something that doesn't "play well together" between Adobe Reader DC and NVDA.

If I hit NVDA+TAB in anything I've tried so far I do not get the field name announced.

The demagogue is one who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.
~ H.L. Mencken