Re: Enabling key echo in putty and editing using nano

Antony Stone

Can you narrow down the problem to being at your end of the connection or the
server end?

In other words, do you have this problem no matter what you are doing on the
remote machine (nano, vim, emacs, any other editor you choose; also just
generally reading console output of commands, and editing bash commads as you
type them), which would suggest it seems to be a local problem with putty, or
is the problem only when you're using nano, and it's the way that particular
application is manipulating the cursor which is causing problems (in which
case, I recommend trying vim as an alternative to see whether it works
better)?

Antony.

On Monday 11 December 2017 at 17:00:32, Pranav Lal wrote:

Hi all,

I have a virtual private server in digital ocean. I am accessing this
server using putty.
1. I need to edit some configuration files. However, the cursor tracking is
inconsistent. I am unable to tell what character I am positioned on as I
used the up, down, right and left arrow keys to navigate.
2. I do not have key echo in putty. I have NVDA set to speak typed
characters.

I am using NVDA 2017.4 on Windows 10.

Pranav
--
"In fact I wanted to be John Cleese and it took me some time to realise that
the job was already taken."

- Douglas Adams

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.